Thread: First Road Trip

Default First Road Trip

My husband and I have just purchased our first RV. After years of camping and traveling, we moved up to a 25' and would like some imput on routes from Asheville, NC to California and Yosemite National Park. We have 3-4 months and would like a variety of cities and parks along the way. Our days of travel can vary from a few miles to several hundred miles per day. Any interesting sites and routes would sure help with our planning. We plan to leave mid to late March.

Default Too many options !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

At the moment I would suggest you look around the forums and the many links in the tool bars above including the Map centre where you can create routes and see attractions along them. As you look around you will find tens of thousands of possibilities and too many for us to make any meaningful suggestions at this early stage for a trip of 3-4 months.

Once you have some dots on the map and/or some more specific questions we will be pleased to try and help.

Default What type of RV?

Hello liv4sun,

A close friend just purchased a 29' Class C and he's crazy about it! It will be helpful to know what type of RV you've purchased, and if a Class C, whether or not you'll bring along a toad, a scooter or motorcycle, or bicycles. Such is meaningful in terms of suggesting places to go and things to do.

Along similar lines, some info as to your preferences as to high luxe accomodations (read: commercial campgrounds with amenities) vs. more primitive locales (including boondocking) would be helpful.

Generally speaking, however, you'll likely want to/need to stay south early in your trip. If you're not already aware of it, Tioga Pass accessing Yosemite opens late. Similarly, some of the more popular drives in the West don't open until early- to mid- June.

Looking forward to hearing more,

Foy

We have a 2011 Winnebago Via and will not be pulling anything - no bikes, etc. We like a mixture of deluxe and boondock accomodations. As for timing, we may possibly wait until April, giving us a little more time to plan and weatherwise. As for the popular dives in the West, which are you referring to?

Anything that's in the mountains will be only partially accessible - examples would be Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon North Rim, Glacier, North Cascades, Crater Lake, Lassen, and Yosemite. You can go to nps.gov and look up each park for operating hours, seasons, and accessibility.

Default National Forests and BLM

Quote Originally Posted by Liv4sun View Post
    We have a 2011 Winnebago Via and will not be pulling anything - no bikes, etc. We like a mixture of deluxe and boondock accomodations. As for timing, we may possibly wait until April, giving us a little more time to plan and weatherwise. As for the popular dives in the West, which are you referring to?
    I suppose you already have a commercial campground guidebook, such as Woodalls. With acceptance of non-deluxe sites, the large world of National Forest (NF) campgrounds is open to you. Long ago I acquired "Campground Guide for the Northern Region" which gave great detail on NF sites in the Northern Rockies. In more recent times I've found the individual NF websites to provide detailed descriptions of their campgrounds and the vicinity around them.

Although I don't know it to be the case, I suspect the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has a plethora of campgrounds and some websites and/or guidebooks describing them. The great majority of the non-forested mountain and desert West is BLM land.

And I was referring to popular DRIVES in the West. I've been to some popular DIVES, too, and they tend to be open year-round :) Drives such as Trail Ridge Rd, Going-to-the-Sun Road, Beartooth Highway tend to open later in the year. Likely little access to some of the more remote and higher-elevation NF campgrounds, too, until all of the snow is gone and they can operate their water systems w/out freeze-up. Some Web research and phone calls should provide much info.

I'd sure want to have a couple of bicycles along. The receiver hitch your RV surely has will accept a simple and inexpensive bike rack, and you're likely to wish you had a means of locomotion other than "Pat and Charley" (your feet), provided personal mobility issues don't preclude the use of bicycles.

Foy

Thumbs up I like it.

And I was referring to popular DRIVES in the West. I've been to some popular DIVES, too, and they tend to be open year-round :)
    Haha ! I almost spat my coffee all over the keyboard with laughter !

Thanks so much for the info...we thought about it and ordered a bike rack and will be getting bikes for the trip! Working on trip and so far, we will leave from Asheville, NC to Nashville, TN to Memphis, TN to Hot Springs, AR, Shreveport, LA, San Antonio, TX, Big Bend National Park, TX, Carlsbad Cavern N.P., NM, Gita Cliff Dwellings N. Monument, NM, Tombstone, AZ, Petrified Forest, AZ, Painted Desert, AZ, 4 corners, NM and Grand Canyon. That is as far are we right now, but will continue planning to get us to Yosemite!

Default National parks.

You can find detailed info on every National park by using the nps Find a park map and if you are visiting more than 4 major parks the annual pass for $80 will save you money compared to paying individual entrance fees. With a trip of this size you probably want to remain flexible, but I must warn you that RV sites in the popular National parks are limited in number and can book out very quick after the booking window opens.

10. Default

Wow! You will have such a great time! I found a neat site that goes over the history of the roadtrip, essentials, and classic routes. Maybe it will be helpful in planning your adventure!