1. Default First road trip ever! Vancouver to needed.

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning a roadtrip down to california, this is our first roadtrip ever so we need lots of help from all those with experiance :).

We are hoping to have a 2 week window from June 4th -19th 2011 for the trip and I would like to keep a $3000 budget (through there is some wiggle room). I get at least 600km to a 40L tank on my car so gas should be fairly reasonable and I am hoping to take along our cooler, my toaster oven and a few other gagets so we can cook some stuff on the road as I have an AC plug in my car.

So anyways the plan is to drive the first day from chilliwack for about 12 hours down the I-5, spend the night and then drive straight the next day to Anaheim. I am thinking we should spend between 7 and 9 days in the anaheim area. Ideally I would like to do 3 days at Disneyland, drive up to Universal Studios for one day and drive down to San Diego for 1 day at Seaworld using the Socal City pass. Note that driving an hour and a half each way somewhere is no big deal to us as we do it on a regular basis. This leaves 2 to 4 days in between to enjoy the Anaheim/LA area, I would like to enjoy some beach time, maybe attend a baseball game, maybe go kayaking etc etc.

For the return home I have left a window of up to 5 days to travel depending on how worn out we are. If we are up for the travel I would like the drive the coast up to San Francisco spend 1 to 2 nights in San Francisco then head back towards the 1-5 for home spending 1 night in Oregon. This should leave us at least one day to recover at home before returning to work lol.

Does this sound resonable, and do you think it will work within our budget, route adjustments are welcomed as I am not sure on the exact time frame for everything. I really just want to make the trip worthwhile as it is unlikely we will be able to do a trip like this again for quite sometime. I don't want to miss out on the big things but I also don't want to cram too much into one adventure.

Also looking for hotel reccommendations around disneyland under $70 per night preferred but can go up to $100 per night with free internet, a pool, complimentry breakfast of some sort (cold is fine) and free parking. Walking distance (within 15 mins) to disneyland would be prefered as we have to drive everywhere else. Hotel recommendations for San Francisco are also needed under $70 per night preferred but can go up to $100 per night with internet, breakfast and parking, no pool needed.

Any thoughts?

Joplin MO

I think trying to drive from Chilliwack to Anaheim in only 2 days is a bit ambitious. It's 1300 miles, and with border crossing delays and traffic delays trying to go right through LA this would have you on the road for probably 14 hours+ each day. I'd plan on a 3rd day here and try to slip through LA at midday, when the traffic isn't too terrible.

As far as basing yourself in Anaheim for trips to Universal Studios and San Diego, I don't think you have a concept of how bad traffic in the whole area is. Be prepared to sit in traffic for hours.

3. Default

I am planning on driving down on a weekend so that should hopefully make traffic a bit better. There seems to be no way around it the LA traffic though so I am not sure what to do about it, I have considered flying to Disneyland but public transit sounded even worse and being under 25 makes renting a car rediculously expensive. They say it should take about an hour and a half to get to universal studios in good traffic so even with an extra hour on that that is no big deal, no worse then trying to get to and from vancouver at rush hour on game night lol. I guess I could leave seaworld on the maybe list since that would be the longest drive. hmm lots for consider.