1. Default Road trip to the South West starting pt - Las Vegas

Hi Guys

I'm planning a holiday to Las Vegas in April with my son and would like to include a little road trip during our stay.

My plan is
    Day 1 - fly into Las Vegas arrive in evening from UK
    Day 2-3 in Vegas - hire a car on day 3
    Day 4 - early start head to the Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam and route 66 - stop at Snowcap Drive in for a bite to eat at Seligman. Overnight stay at the Grand Canyon
    Day 5 - Monument Valley
    Day 6- drive to Page - cruise maybe on Lake Powell - overnight stay in Page
    Day 7 -Antelpoe Canyon in the morning before heading back to Las Vegas
    Day 8- las Vegas
    Day 9 - Death Valley
    Day 10 - chill out in Vegas by the pool!!! :)
    Day 11 - Fly home to UK

I know there are lots more to see and do but for this trip these places are my "must see" destinations.

Would really appreciate any help and advice. Is this plan doable in the 10 days I have?
    Plus any advice on hotels, places to eat on the road etc would be great apart from the one I've mentioned. I'm only planning on hiring a small standard car not a 4x4 - will this be ok on the roads near MV? Its been 5 yrs since I've driven in the States so I'm hoping the route will be easy to follow and i dont get lost!!

Many thanx in advance :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default thumbs up

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a great trip lined up, and you've done a great job on your planning. A small car will be just fine for your trip - as any place you'd need 4 wheel drive, you'd be violating your rental agreement by driving off road. Monument Valley is the one place where going off-road will an issue - but you should just do that portion of your trip through one of the many guided tours offered in the area.

3. Default

Cheers Michael :)

Joplin MO

Something to consider - from Page, head back to LV through Zion.

5. Default

That sounds like a great idea...Thank you.

When I started looking at a road trip I hadnt realised how much theris to see and do in the area. Certainly enough for at least 3 trips. Good excuse to come back again and again !!
    Its been hard to choose which ones for this trip.

Although I've driven in Florida and driven from Orlando to St Petes Beach, this is my first real road trip so I see it as a challenge so I dont want to cram too much in to a short length of time. Its exciting but I'm also nervous at the same time!!

Also any advice on places to stay in Page?

Any other advice about driving along the route I've mapped out would also be most appreciated

Joplin MO

I can't recommend a place to stay in Page, but I can recommend a place NOT to stay - the Super 8. It's not well maintained and customer service is lousy. My room had no heat on a 29 degree night and the front desk didn't care. The wifi was unusable. In short, the place is a dump.

If you want to take a chance, the 7 Mile Lodge in Tusayan (just outside the Grand Canyon south entrance) only takes walk-ins. They do not take reservations and seldom answer their phone. Due to the location, staying anywhere in Tusayan is expensive, but this place is the cheapest in town and it's a decent little motel. If they are full, there are other large hotels in town, or you can drive an hour back to Williams or Flagstaff - or head out the east entrance to Cameron and the Cameron Trading Post.

Quote Originally Posted by UKJules View Post

Also any advice on places to stay in Page?

I visited Page, AZ, in October of 2009. Stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Lake Powell. Great location and great stay with a nice pool, good views outside the window and superb service by the staff. When we arrived in the evening, I hade a pizza slice or two with me that I wanted to heat up a bit. There was no public place where I could heat the pizza, but the lady at the front desk made a quick call and a few minutes later they came up to our room with a microwave and installed it, so I could have warm pizza while watching baseball. If I ever go back to Page - and I hope I will some day - I'd stay at the Courtyard by Marriott again.