1. Default Road trip from LA for 15 days

Me and my girlfriend are planning a roadtrip for summer 2011. We have booked our flights from the UK and arriving in LAX on the 25th june 2011 and are flying back on 11th July. We want to visit Los Angeles, San francisco, Yosemite National Park, Grand canyon and Las Vegas, we also want to drive up the coast to take in some scenery, can anyone advise a good route for us to take as this is our first road trip?

Many Thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This outline is far and away the single most discussed route on this forum. Rather than try to go over all the exact same ground we've gone over many many times, please start by taking a look around (these are a good starting point, but still a very small sample of the thousands of other threads).

Once you have a better idea of your own plan, we can certainly help you with any specific questions you might have.

3. Default

Thankyou the links are very helpfull, do you recommend to book the hotel/motels before leaving the UK or just book as we go along so we have more freedom?

Joplin MO

If you want to stay in the national parks, you need to book as soon as the booking window opens, and you may even be too late to do that now. However, there shouldn't be a problem finding accommodations near the parks or even anywhere else on a walk-in basis.

A tip for the Grand Canyon - the 7 Mile Lodge in Tusayan operates on walk-in ONLY - they don't take reservations and they seldom answer the phone. It's a motel style and is pretty decent. It's the cheapest in town. Worst case, you can stay in Williams or Flagstaff where reasonably priced walk-ins are no problem.

South of England.

Default Hitting the spot[s.

You can drive in either direction but the one I am suggesting would have the advantage of driving South 'down' the coast putting the Ocean view pull outs on your side of the road.

LA > Grand canyon> Las Vegas>Yosemite>San Francisco>LA.

An overnight stop between LA and GC would be advisable and by doing so you could go through Joshua tree NP or the Mojave Preserve. You could then continue to Flagstaff and North on US 89 to AZ 64 and through the East kiosk on Desert view drive and enjoy the views as you make your way to the village area. Leave by the South kiosk to I40 and on the way to Vegas you could take a detour onto Route 66 through Seligman to Kingman and North on US93 with the chance to stop at Hoover dam. From Las Vegas drive across Death valley and North on 395 to CA120 [Tioga pass] that takes you across the Sierra Nevada and is very scenic. You should have no problems with the Tioga being open but check before travelling as it only opens normally between Mid May and Mid June after snow plowing work has finished, but can be later. Plan on staying a night between Vegas and Yosemite to the East of the mountains and then continue into Yosemite valley, this place is wonderful ! To San Francisco and around Big Sur between Monterey and Morro bay for a scenic coast drive back to LA, allow at least 2 day's.