1. Default Houston to GCNP to Vegas

I am planning a road trip with wife and 2 young kids from Houston->Grand Canyon->Vegas and if possible, nearby locations during Spring Break 2011. Could anyone of the experienced members suggest the best plan and locations to visit for a total of 8-9 days trip? I would appreciate help with regard to places to visit around GCNP and Vegas including sites to visit to and from Vegas.

Default Return ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Is this an 8-9 day round trip ? If it's a return trip you will have around 6 days of driving that really won't leave you a lot of free time. On the way to the Grand canyon there is the Petrified forest, Walnut canyon and Sunset Crater and if you have the time you could pick a route that would take you past Carlsbad Caverns and Roswell.

From Flagstaff I would head North on US89 towards Cameron and then enter through the East kiosk on AZ 64 which is known as Desert view drive in the NP. It has many viewpoints to the village area and when it's time to leave take the South kiosk back to I 40 to complete a loop. From the village you can also take the free shuttle bus to Hermits rest and hop on and off at viewpoints along the way.

You can take a look here for some great day trips from Vegas but if it's a return trip you might want to consider turning around at GC and spending more time exploring on the journey.

3. Default

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great information. Our original plan was to drive from Houston to Grand Canyon, spend 2 nights there and continue to Vegas where we planned to spend 3 nights and then return to Houston. The total trip will be 8 days including the drive. So what we were looking for was to try to cover some more spots on the to and fro journey and if need be, reduce the Vegas trip to 2 nights (I am not sure what Vegas has to offer for us to stay there 3 nights). Also, we were thinking of taking different routes on our journey to Grand Canyon and Vegas and then a different route on the return to Houston in order for us to cover more locations. So if you could throw some light on the what our options could be, it will be appreciated. Thanks,

Default Back to the drawing board.

Sorry, but it's not gonna happen.

The Grand canyon is an absolute minimum of a 2 day drive and to get back from Vegas, closer to three days. Add the half day travelling from GC to Vegas and 5 days of your trip are accounted for with driving and no sight seeing 'to or fro.' That leaves only 3 days left to share between both destinations.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-09-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo/clarification.

I have to agree, you are trying to do far beyond what is safe, or sane for a family trip.

Simply put, you can't drive from Houston to Las Vegas in a day and a half, like you'd need to have 5 days in GC and LV when you've only got 8 days available. It is a 1500 mile trip, that's going to require a bare minimum of 27 hours on the road. Trying to do it in less than 3 days will make it a certainty that your family never wants to do a roadtrip again, in the best case, and in the worst case, it will have you driving well beyond your physical limitations making you a huge danger on the roadway - just like a drunk driver.

6. Default

Dave and Michael,

Thanks for your responses. It has me thinking quite a bit since then. We still want to do the road trip from Houston->GC->Vegas->Houston and may spend more number of days on the road if required. You information is most helpful but could you suggest the main "must see" from Houston to GC and then return from Vegas to Houston. I would like to take different routes from Houston to GC and on the return from Vegas to Houston so that I could get to visit/see more national parks or places. Could you suggest the routes and places to visit please? Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry, but if you look around this forum a bit you'll find one big theme: There are no must see. There are lots of options and what is a "must" for you could very well be a "must not" for someone else.

The obvious way to do a loop would be to follow I-40 one direction and I-10 the other. There are certainly lots of things along both routes, and there are lots of resources on this site - including the new map center - to help you get more ideas. But the ideas that will work depend on your interests and how much time you have.

8. Default

This thread gives me ideas. I was thinking along the same lines as sparek except Im leaving from Corpus to Vegas with 7 days to work. I wanted to make a stop or two on the way to Vegas. Really wanted to visit Grand Canyon. New to this site.

Default Welcome.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums rjquezada !

You will find many other threads by using the search function or just scrolling down to the bottom of this page where you will find 'Similar Threads'.

If you have any specific question, please ask. Enjoy RTA.