Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First time renting RV and travel - suggestions?

Hi. We are thinking of taking our family (husband, myself and 2 girls) on a Southwest road trip for spring break. Would probably fly from Chicago to the southwest, rent RV, and then travel. Focused on the four corners area, maybe up into Arches National Park, or down into Monument Valley/Petrified Forest. Where would be the closes place to fly into and rent the RV? Phoenix??

Any tips on what to hit in a weeks time would be appreciated!

Liz

Default Up or down, left or right ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's going to depend on whether it's "up to Arches" or "down to Monument valley" and what else you want to include in your trip and how long you have to do it in.

A trip from Denver to Arches/Canyonlands [ possibly Colorado National Monument] to Four corners and back with possible visits to, Mesa Verde NP, Black canyon of the Gunnison, Currecanti Rec area, Garden of the Gods etc would be similar mileage to a trip from Phoenix to Arches via Four corners [and possibly Petrified forest and Canyon De Chelley ] and back through Monument valley and Grand canyon.

You can find Lot's of info throughout the RTA site that will help you decide where to go etc, but I will point you in the direction of our Denver/ Arches /Four corners/ Denver trip in an RV here that may give you some ideas.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-06-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added info.

3. Default

Thanks for your response! I think we are shooting for hitting zion, bryce, monument valley, four corners. we have 8 days. don't know if we'll have time for canyonlands and arches on that route in 8 days. thoughts? also, any place recommended for renting an RV? should the driving in April be pretty weather-easy?

The way I see it, you have a choice of 5 cities - check them all for airfares and RV rental rates.

Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Denver, Phoenix, and Las Vegas.

Default 'This and that.'

With 8 day's [especially if including your arrival and departure day] I would keep things narrowed down and enjoy the places you decide to visit. It's worth checking rates at different points of entry as glc suggested but I would personally favour a Las Vegas loop if Zion, Bryce and Grand canyon are on the 'menu,' with Phoenix a possibility.

With a couple of days at Zion and Grand canyon and one each at Bryce and Monument valley plus travel time you really don't have a lot left to play with and although Four corners is one of those 'tourist traps' that is worth it for the 'picture in four States at one time' alone, there is nothing else there and adds quite a few miles to your trip.

A couple of the big National RV rental Co's are Cruise America and El Monte but I would put the 'name of City' and 'RV rental' into your search engine and look at smaller Co's to compare any special offers going. On Cruise America's site you will find a 'Hot deals' link, make sure you click on it to see what savings can be made. They also have a refurb centre in Phoenix and often do cheap 'one way' deals to get their RV's delivered to there, or dropped off somewhere from there. A one way trip to/ from Denver or SLC could work really well depending on what extra the flights would cost from 2 different City's. I have checked here and at the moment this particular deal is only available until Feb but it does update all the time.

The weather as we know is unpredictable, and especially so at this time of year and when at higher elevation. You will need to pack warm and layered clothing as you could see day time temps at Bryce and Grand canyon around 60's and night time temps well below freezing. It could be bright and 'Spring like' or you could still see cold weather and some snow but if so, it shouldn't be enough to be of concern. It's generally quite a dry Month.

Note] When routing to the Grand canyon make sure it is the South rim [Grand canyon village] you are headed and not the North rim which is closed this time of year.

Some campground recommendations, Zion NP > the 'Watchmen campground.' Bryce canyon> Rubys Inn RV park. Grand canyon South rim> 'Mather campground'. Las Vegas> 'Oasis RV resort'. I think there is an RV park at 'Gouldings lodge' in Monument valley or you have the 'Cameron trading post' in Cameron close to the East kiosk of the GC. [ Worth a stop to look around the store]

6. Default Winterized RV considerations

Most likely, your RV will be winterized for sub-zero conditions. This being the case, you will not have access to water, including the toilet. If it is not winterized, you will have to pay for any freezing damage to the rig. Just something to be aware of.

I've taken advantage of Cruise America's one way specials. They are a great deal; but they come at the cost of covering a lot of miles in a small time. We went from Phonix to Seattle but were only given 7 nights to do it at the discount rate. Well, you pick it up after noon and return it before noon; so we in reality had 6 full days and 2000 free miles for the trip. And let me tell you, the rush hour traffic heading north out of Phoenix sucked up a lot of hours that first day. We paid full price for additional days and 400 additional miles. At 8 miles per gallon, the gas was $900. It was a great trip with a newly refurbrished RV and a lot of fun. They used to charge $24 per day ROLLING INTO PHOENIX and ROLLING OUT OF PHOENIX. Now, they've raised the ROLLING OUT OF PHOENIX rate to $48 so it is not as great a bargain, but these are newly REFURBRISHED RVs that will be sold at their destination. The $24 units, on the other hand, are going TO Phoenix for refurbrishment.

Another place to consider is RV rental through Camping World. They do things differently. Their one way rates vary from $40 per day down to $10 per day with 100 free miles per day. This deal is best if you have a lot of time or a short enough distance that you average less than 100 miles per day of course. Any additional miles are at the normal rate. They have a much wider selection of RVs and destinations than Cruise America, including some units with slides and even some class A motorhomes. I have no personal experience with them.

With any motorhome rental, make sure you return it on time. Penalties can be huge even if you are an hour or two late.

7. Default

I will check out the one way rates. maybe we could fly into SLC and out of Vegas. I grew up in Phoenix and have no real desire to go through there. We were just at the Grand Canyon 2 Christmases ago, so we will not hit that one either. So is it too much to expect that we can do a zion/monument valley/(skip 4 corners)/arches-canyonlands/bryce loop in 8 days? sounds like i'm hearing a yes already on that one, but just want to be sure...

Default Possible.

It is certainly possible and could be reasonably comfortable but busy.

Vegas looks to be the base with the shortest route to hit the spots. If you head North on I15 to Zion for the night and then to Bryce for another, you could then take Utah scenic by way 12 to Arches and Canyonlands. Depending on your timing you could stop at Capitol Reef on the way and perhaps stop overnight. Two nights at Arches/Canyonlands and then to Monument valley and then the long drive back to Vegas. It'll keep you on the move but you will have plenty to keep you entertained. The 'Devils garden campground' in Arches NP is awesome.

I think you could do that in 8 days with a SLC to LV loop - Arches/Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Bryce, and Zion. Approximate drive times:

SLC-Moab = 5 hours
    Moab-MV = 3 hours
    MV-Bryce = 6 hours
    Bryce-Zion = 2 hours, you need an appointment and $15 to take a RV through the tunnel
    Zion-LV = 3.5 hours

Default Further info.

Bryce-Zion = 2 hours, you need an appointment and $15 to take a RV through the tunnel
    From April 1st you do not need to make an appointment at the kiosk as the tunnel is fully manned. You will have to wait a short while at the tunnel entrance and then they will stop any on-coming traffic from entering the tunnel at the other end to enable you to drive down the centre line. Travel is restricted to the hours of 8am to 8pm [possibly 6 or 7 pm at this time of year].

Pay the fee at the entrance kiosk and they will give you any up to date changes/info you may need to know about.