1. Default 2-3 week roadtrip, single mom, 3 kids

Hi, I am a single mom with 3 children, ages 8, 9, and 11, the older two are both on the autism scale, but we love to travel...I have promised them a road trip for the past couple of years, so i really would like to do it this summer...we live in southern KY, and would like to get in some key "sights to see", such as the Alamo, Mt Rushmore, White House, Smithsonian, Yellowstone, and any other important/fun yet educational places throughout the USA. We have visited Florida/southern states several times so I am not worried about going south particularly, but I also don't know how to go about planning a safe, fun trip for my kiddos this summer. We have a nice comfy van and we can spend some nights sleeping in it to save some money, the rest of the time we can either camp (tents) or find ultra cheap motels..i am open to any suggestions for a route that would take about 3 weeks to complete, we are used to driving so we can happily travel a lot of miles to get to worthwhile locations..I am open to north east, north west and any other direction (other than south!!)...thanks so much

Tucson, AZ

Default Needs A Rifle Instead of a Shotgun

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The specific places you've listed as possible 'must sees' (a term that finds no favor around here) are all over the county, so the first thing you'll need to do is focus on a single area of the country to explore. From reading between the lines of your post (so I could be wrong) I would think that somewhere in the northern Rockies would best fit in with what you're trying to do for your kids. Specifically, I'd look at a loop trip out to Yellowstone and back. That would require a week of solid driving spread out over your two to three weeks of RoadTrip, but you could easily keep each day manageable by making frequent short stops en route and by having multiple, interim destinations such as some Lincoln sites in Illinois, the Amana Colonies in Iowa, the Badlands of South Dakota, Devils Tower in Wyoming, the Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana, Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, dinosaur fossils in Kansas, the Gateway Arch and Zoo in St. Louis, and lots of other possibilities.

If that looks like it might work for you, talk it over with your kids and see what they'd like to see and do. Or if that seems too much, it can be cut down. Or if you'd like to strike out in another direction entirely, it would at least give you a feel for what you can accomplish in three weeks. Anyway, the next step is up to you and the kids to make a basic choice of where and how far to go, then we can help you with some of the details.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default deciding

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You know, all of the places you listed are great possibilities, but before we can really help you, you need to decide which of them sounds most interesting to you.

A trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone could make for a great 3 week trip, but you could just as easily find as much or even more enjoyment with a trip to the White House/Smithsonian, plus other things along the east coast (maybe Gettysburg, New York, etc).

That's the great thing about the roadtrip - you get to go where you want to go. So sit down with your kids, get their input, and figure out what the one or two places that you want to visit most. Once you have a better idea of what you want, we can certainly help you fill in the gaps with fun stops along the way.

4. Default

As stated above you have the whole country to choose from, and you need a bit of focus. So, I’ll throw this into the arena. It’s low-key and a somewhat shorter trip than going our west. Keep in mind the temperatures you can expect during the summer months can lead to irritable children. Maybe they would enjoy a “touring-camping vacation” with both camping and travel. Some ideas:

Great Smoky National Park. Some real camping with hiking and maybe a visit to the Cherokee Indians, fishing, etc.

Then drive up to Luray Caverns, Luray, VA. What child wouldn’t like to go into caves.

Scranton, PA has both Steamtown National Historic Site with trains, and Lackawanna Coal Mine tours.

Corning, NY has the famous glass works and then in the Finger Lakes area there are wineries. Nice camping is in the area.

You could return via eastern Pennsylvania to the Penn-Dutch area and Valley Forge.

This could lead to a visit of Washington, DC. Then south to Williamsburg and home.

5. Default thanks so much for the ideas..

I love the input each of you has given...because of my childrens' disabilities, it is sometimes a little challenging to get solid ideas as unseen reality is harder for them to "imagine" i think I will sit with them, as y'all suggested, and get some pictures and basic info on each area and see which one elicits the most response...again, thanks, and if anyone else has any more suggestions I am happy to hear them..