Default My First Roadtrip

So I have just graduated High School and I have decided that I need to plan a getaway trip to feel on my own before I throw myself into the hectic life of that of a College Kid. The Destination for this trip is Dayton, OH so I can visit some old friends. On this trip I also plan to make several stops in National Parks so I can build up my Photography Portfolio as well. Well my planning has started a couple of weeks ago so I decided to check out this website since I have gotten some helpful information from it so far.

Well I have to go for now but I will continually be updating this on what is going on with the planning stages!

Default How Far Afield, and What Field(s)?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Medford to Dayton is 'only' 560 miles, so it's conceivable that you could make that drive in a single day's drive if you just stuck to the most direct route, I-76/I-70. But there are no National Parks along that bit of Interstate. But, if you are willing to go a bit out of your way and spend a couple of days each way, there are certainly any number of historic and scenic locations to visit. So I guess my first 2 questions back to you are: How much time were you planning to devote to this trip? and: Other than taking pretty pictures, what are your interests?

AZBuck

Hey AZBuck!

Thank you! Yes, I plan on, not on my way there but on the way back, making several stops along the way to visit some historical sites. For this trip I am going to just travel there in one day, I am going to be staying in Dayton for about 12 days to do some sight-seeing and to visit some old friends. On the way back however I plan on making it back in a couple days to see some Historic sites along the way and also to visit some State Parks. My main interest though is to take photography along the way since I have recently started opening a Photography Studio back home.

Josh_Johnston

Default Then on Your Way Back...

...have a look at basically following the old National Road starting in Ohio with Amish Country. visiting the historic sites associated with the French and Indian Wars and George Washington, dropping down through the mountain parks of western Maryland and then down the Potomac River valley along the old C&O Canal to Fort Frederick before heading back up through Gettysburg and on to home.

AZBuck

It's certainly possible to drive from Medford to Dayton in 1 day, but the most direct route will take you right through Center City Philadelphia and out the Schuylkill Expressway to the PA Turnpike. You are looking at both traffic and considerable tolls. Are you comfortable with that?