1. Default Farming, Hiking, Couchsurfing, & North Americana

My dude pal and I just finished an extraordinary 'round the world adventure, and we're not ready to grow up yet.

Our semi-long term goal is to manage our own homestead. We love hiking and the natural environment, any activities outside. We also love meeting new people and are devoted members of Couchsurfing.

So we're going to combine those three things into an open-ended road trip across North America! We are going to WWOOF (work on organic farms) in order to gain more farming experience. We want to visit National Parks. And we're going to do lots of couchsurfing and visiting new and old friends.

I'm starting to put together a tentative route with a very tentative itinerary. Sort of like a wish list. My questions for this lovely community:
    --Which are your favorite national parks? I know the obvious Yosemite/ Yellowstone/ Grand Canyon/ Shenandoah... gimme the lesser visited gems.
    --I like small to mid-sized cities and towns. College towns. Funky places. Think Asheville, Austin, Madison, Burlington. Any other interesting, eccentric towns or small cities to recommend?
    --Amazing North American cultural events... I mean Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Burning Man, SXSW, New Year's Eve in Times Square... what other amazing events have you done/ do you know about that are specific to North America?
    --Any experiences WWOOFing?

Thanks, all. May you live your dreams to the fullest!

P.S. Apologies if I posted this in the wrong board, it seems somewhat off-beat so I thought it could live here.

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'll tell you up front that we're not big believers in the "must see" concept, and large open ended questions, that basically ask, "out of the million great things you could see, which ones would you recommend" generally don't get much of a response. Your case could be different, and I wish you luck, I'm just giving you the reality that your questions are so open ended that you might struggle to get what you are looking for.

You're oddly also the second person to ask about Organic Farming in the past week, and in my 8-9 years on this board, I can't think of a single question on the topic before that. I'll simply tell you that if your plan is to show up and makes some money doing it, I doubt you'll have much luck (not to mention potential legal issues if you are non-resident tourists), if you are doing it as volunteer work to get experience, you'll probably have more luck, but I suspect you should be looking for sites specific to that topic if you really want to explore that idea.

3. Default

Thanks for your response, Michael. I kinda hate the "where is the best place in the whole wide world" question, too. I'm surprised my post came across that way. Most avid outdoorsmen and women I know do have a favorite park or mountain, and I thought it was pretty specific to ask about cities and large towns similar to the ones that I'd listed. And you're right--this is clearly not the place to ask about farming while on a road trip. Maybe it's best I stick to some of my other contacts.

I've done more reading on this board since I posted the original question, and it seems like not many people who are planning their road trips in North America do it for a very extended (~1 year) period of time. I don't know, I've just got this feeling that what we'll end up doing is not really what this forum is intended for.

But thanks again for your help!

Default that's exactly it

Most avid outdoorsmen and women I know do have a favorite park or mountain, and I thought it was pretty specific to ask about cities and large towns similar to the ones that I'd listed.
    Well, there are several dozen national parks in the US National Parks service, and that number jumps into the hundreds when you factor in National Forests, Monuments, Recreation Areas, etc. Add in state parks, and you're talking about thousands upon thousands of places that could be a "favorite park or mountain."

Similarly, the US is really built on small to mid sized cities and towns. Certainly, the places you've mentioned are among the most famous college towns, but there could easily be hundreds more places that fit that description.

While those questions may seem specific to you, when you step back and realize just how big of a place North America is, they really aren't much better than "whole wide world" questions. If you were looking for specifics in one state, area, or even region, tuned more closely with a specific route, it would be a whole lot easier to focus in with relevant answers. I understand you're looking at a much bigger trip, so that's more difficult, which is why that much more research is needed on your part in a trip like this when it comes to the big picture items.
    And you're right--this is clearly not the place to ask about farming while on a road trip. Maybe it's best I stick to some of my other contacts.
    It never hurts to ask, and if you have information to share, I'd bet someone else would be interested. It's a valid question for a roadtrip, but it's obscure enough that its going to be tough to get a good response on a forum like this where far more people come to ask questions than to provide answers.

I've done more reading on this board since I posted the original question, and it seems like not many people who are planning their road trips in North America do it for a very extended (~1 year) period of time. I don't know, I've just got this feeling that what we'll end up doing is not really what this forum is intended for.
    I don't really agree with that. You are right, most trips here don't discuss plans for trips that last a year, but most roadtrips in general don't last that long. We do however get lots of questions about trips lasting several months, and yes, we do get a few people who are really getting out there. There are also lots of articles and other resources on this site that could be of great help in planning your trip, but as noted above, a forum like this is just much better suited to more specific questions.

Default Really ?

I've just got this feeling that what we'll end up doing is not really what this forum is intended for
    By looking around the RTA forums and other pages, such as Roadtrip planning/ routes/attractions and the Map centre you should find all the info you want. It's then, when you have started to put together your "tentative route" and things that appeal to you and where you will be at certain times of the year, a general route etc, that we can make meaningful suggestions to your trip. You can find thousands of suggestions in this one thread and by continuing to look around, millions more.

When you get more into the specifics of your trip and have specific questions we will be pleased to try and answer but for now you need to dig around a bit for those things you want at the moment.

6. Default

Ok. Nevermind. Thanks. :-)