Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fyi

I was just mapping out routes to get a better feel for driving times, etc.
    Generally speaking, add 20% to a mapping programs estimated travel time to deal with 'real life' delays/stops.

Default Another LV/GC/CA coast post! ;) Help needed please.

Greetings all! I've posted before while trying to put this trip together, but in the Spring forum. Unfortunately, all of our dates had to change and so does my planning. With that said...I am ready to book flights, hotels, and the rental car--so please take a look of what we have in mind and comment/suggest if you feel any changes should be made::

Friday August 12...late night flight from NY to Las Vegas...arrive at 11pm...rent car...stay at hotel overnight.
    Saturday 13th...early start driving to the Grand Canyon (South Rim)...photo ops/sunset/sunrise...no plans to hike the canyon. Stay overnight at G.C. Plaza Resort.
    Sunday 14th...head back to L.V. in the afternoon
    Monday 15th...LV
    Tuesday 16th...LV
    Wednesday 17th...early start, drive to Los Angeles & stay at Marina Del Ray Hotel for 2 nights
    Thursday 18th...Los Angeles
    Friday 19th...drive the coast to Big Sur??? vicinity??? someplace to stay for night??
    Saturday 20th...drive from Big Sur(?) to S.F. and stay (hotel?)
    Sunday 21st...S.F. (Alcatraz, etc???)
    Monday 22nd...fly home from SF to NY

Thoughts or opinions please??? Does this feel rushed to you?? We want to see as much as possible but want to enjoy our time and feel relaxed, not rushed. We have already eliminated Yosemite :( bc we can't seem to fit it all in...or can we? HELP PLEASE ;)

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your plan is ok, but there are a few adjustments you could make to improve it.

First, I'd start your trip by staying in Vegas for the couple days you want to be there. That will allow you to start your trip on a more relaxed note, rather than racing to get on the road early, forcing a short night sleep, after a late night flight. You might also be able to save a little money by waiting to pick up the rental car until you are ready to hit the road, rather than paying rental fees while it is sitting parked in your hotel garage.

That will also allow you to save a little time by taking a shorter route. After the Grand Canyon, rather than doubling back to Vegas, simply start driving directly towards Los Angeles. GC to LA can be done in one long day, or you could break it up into an afternoon/evening by stopping somewhere along the way.

Otherwise, I think you've found a good balance based on what you want to see.

Thanks for the reply Michael. Ook....so it's been tweaked again, but in a very different direction. The plane tickets have been bought and the rental car reserved. Now I just need to nail down some dates/travel times/distances in order to reserve rooms for the appropriate dates. How does this sound?:::

Friday August 12- Fly Virgin America from JFK to SFO arriving at 8pm. Pick up rental car. Stay at Days Inn SFO.
    Saturday August 13- S.F. (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, quick drive over to Oakland to see the stadium ;), etc?)
    Sunday August 14- Leave early a.m. and head down the PCH. Stay overnight at the Creekside Inn in Cambria to break up the drive and enjoy the area.
    Monday August 15- Drive towards LA with a possible stop in Solvang. Stay at the Best Western Carriage Inn in Los Angeles or possibly the Marina Del Ray hotel.
    Tuesday August 16- LA (sites)
    Wednesday August 17- early start for the day drive to the Grand Canyon. Stay overnight or maybe 2 night at G.C. Squire Inn. (photo ops, sunset, sunrise)
    Thursday August 18- Drive to Las Vegas...stay....flight back to JFK Monday 8/22.

So the way I have it now I'm in LV from the 18th and leaving the 22nd. I'm willing to do the 19th thru the 22nd if you think a night could be better spent elsewhere??? Would've also liked to see Yosemite but not sure I have time coming from SF...down to LA...GC...and Vegas. Is it possible to fit that in anywhere you see? Thanks for the help! :)

Default Grand canyon.

Yosemite is pretty amazing but if you only have one night to give up from Vegas, I think it would too much to add to an already busy itinerary and instead would definitely spend an extra night at the Grand canyon. it is a very full days drive from LA to GC and then a 5 hour [or so] drive back to LV, leaving you little time to enjoy this wonder of the world.

Personally, I find Yosemite to be much more interesting than LA, so what I might do is go down the coast to Cambria, then go over to Yosemite, across Tioga Pass, then Death Valley and onto GC, before heading back to Vegas. But that's based on my interests, not yours, and you have to make the choice for what's most important to you.

If LA is important to you, then I think you've done about as good as you can do with the time you've got. I would agree that a 2nd night at GC will be a good idea, since you really won't have time to see it the same day you drive from LA.

Another couple things you could do, is loop around via Zion before heading back to Vegas, or you could do a daytrip from Vegas to Death Valley, but those would also come at the expense of your time in Vegas, so again, what's best depends completely on how much time you want to spend there.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions Michael. I just showed my husband your reply re: skipping L.A. and heading towards Yosemite instead.....well, he LOVED it!!! I really thought he wanted to see Los Angeles/Hollywood...but with the limited time frame, given the choice he said he'd prefer to see Yosemite! :)
    Oook...so now what to do!? lol Any inexpensive lodging ideas for Yosemite??? I know nothing of this area. Same goes for Death Valley?! Would you keep the itinerary I have through Cambria, and then head back north to Yosemite via Tioga Pass? If I understand your idea for a revised itinerary (which we are loving)...it should look a bit like this??:::

Friday August 12- Fly Virgin America from JFK to SFO arriving at 8pm. Pick up rental car. Stay at Days Inn SFO.
    Saturday August 13- S.F. (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, quick drive over to Oakland to see the stadium ;), etc?)
    Sunday August 14- Leave early a.m. and head down the PCH. Stay overnight at the Creekside Inn in Cambria to break up the drive and enjoy the area.
    Monday August 15- Drive to Yosemite via the Tioga Pass and stay overnight(?).
    Tuesday August 16- Drive to Death Valley and stay overnight(?)
    Wednesday August 17- early start for the day drive to the Grand Canyon. Stay 2 nights at G.C. Squire Inn.
    Thursday August 18-Grand Canyon
    Friday August 19- Drive to Las Vegas & check-in
    Saturday August 20- Las Vegas
    Sunday August 21- Las Vegas-
    Monday August 22- Fly back to NY at 2:30pm

Default Tioga pass[ CA120]

Monday August 15- Drive to Yosemite via the Tioga Pass and stay overnight(?).
    Tuesday August 16- Drive to Death Valley and stay overnight(?)
    The Tioga pass [CA120] is a route you take from Yosemite over the Sierra Nevada to Lee Vining on route to Death valley and is a very scenic moutain pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    The Tioga pass [CA120] is a route you take from Yosemite over the Sierra Nevada to Lee Vining on route to Death valley and is a very scenic moutain pass.
    Thank you Dave for clarifying. Do you have any suggestions for accommodations near there for a night and also for a night in Death Valley? Did the revised itinerary look alright to you?

Also thinking to take a night away from LV at the end, and allowing for 2 nights in Yosemite. This would give us 2 nights in SF, 1 night in Cambria or San Simeon, 2 nights in Yosemite, 1 night in Death Valley, 2 nights in Grand Canyon, and end with 2 nights in Las Vegas????? Ok....what do you think...(and please include lodging ideas?) Be gentle ;)
    Last edited by Gia Tiano-Obert; 01-16-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Default Looks good.

I would definitely allow for 2 nights in Yosemite when you take the travel time into consideration and your itinerary is a manageable one that will keep you busy but get an overview of the places you visit. As for lodging, you can find cheaper alternatives outside of the parks but if your budget can handle it, you can't beat staying inside them. You will need to book asap as it is a busy time of year and lodgings become scarce to non existent. Staying in the parks will also save valuable time by not having to drive in and out plus queueing at the kiosks. You could stay 1 night in Yosemite NP and then spend night 2 at the other end of Tioga in the Lee vining/Mammoth lakes area. To make your onward journey from DV to Grand canyon manageable you would need to stay at Furnace creek from the choice of DV park lodgings, but you could continue to the South side of Vegas via Pahrump. Death valley is amazing to drive through and take short walks to viewpoints but it will be extremely hot in August and your time out of the car will be limited. Take plenty of water, sun cream and a hat. Again, the Village area of the GC would be ideal to stay, but if not the nearest [and dearest] town is Tusayan with Williams and Flagstaff offering cheaper options.