1. Default Winter road trip from Phoenix to Hillsboro, OR

Hello road trippers! We are making a drive from Maricopa, AZ (outside of Phoenix) to Hillsboro, Oregon in less than 2 weeks. We've made this trip before but never in the Winter! Our usual path is to take I 10 to I 5. How is the Winter treating this path as of lately? The Siskiyou area should give us some problems right? Will we need to get chains?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default seeing into the future

Unless you've got a whole lot of extra time, I-10 to I-5 is basically your best bet. There are actually a couple other better options for bypassing LA (either using I-210, or going up I-15/US-395/CA-58) but that doesn't change the winter travel aspect too much.

Basically, yes, Northern California/Oregon is the place you are most likely to see bad weather. Yes, you should carry chains, and there is a chance you'll need to use them. There's also a slight chance of seeing bad weather either across the Grapevine (I-5) or Tehachapi (CA-58) as you cross the mountains in Southern California. Your only other real option would be to take the coast, but that would easily double your travel time.

Yes, there is a chance that you'll see bad weather, but beyond that there really isn't much more we can say until you can see an exact weather forecast. For example, right now, there are no problems on I-5 in California, but that could easily change during your time of travel. Generalities about the weather really don't apply, because the only thing that matters in your case is what the weather will be during the specific time of your trip. Just keep and eye on the weather, frequently check the status of Road Conditions, and hope for the best.

3. Default

Thank you for your response! Yes, we are keeping a watchful eye on the weather! CRAZY weather out there! Crossing my fingers, eyes and toes that it all clears up for us!