Default LA to NewYork to Miami back through Texas to LA

Hi Doc here from Bunbury in Western Australia.. We are planning a 5 weeks trip starting in LA (to visit son in Ridgecrest CA) then driving across to Las Vegas, Denver, Omaha Chicago and New York to visit friends in Manhatton.

Then down the east coast to Florida and back to Ridgcrest through Texas..

Last May 2010 we did a 10,000 mile road trip up and down the West coast and Loved It .. Such great people in the USA .. not sure where Hollywood get thier idea of what you Amercians are like but boy do they have it wrong.. such friendly people so willing to oblige at all times, we can't wait to return.. Any help or suggestions at all that you can offer would greatly be appreciated

Cheers
    Doc

Default Make good use of RTA.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You certainly have a bit of time for sight seeing along the way, with 'only' having to cover an average of 1500 miles a week over 5 weeks. Of course much will depend on how much 'on the road' time you actually have and how long you plan on spending with your son.

With such a big trip it is difficult to make any meaningful suggestions at this point, other than to encourage you to search the forums, look at roadtrip field reports and use the other RTA road trip planning pages to pick up ideas and inspiration. For instance the RTA map centre is a place to create routes and search for attractions along them, use the 'Routes' and 'Roadtrip attractions' sections that you can find in the tool bars above.

We will be happy to help and make suggestions when you come across more specific questions in your planning, but for the time being I would simply take a look around.

such friendly people so willing to oblige at all times,
    Yeah, not a bad bunch are they ! ;-)

Default Not Quite a Blank State

Taking you at your word about your general routing, it is possible to point you to a few of the major sights that you should be considering for your driveabout. Starting with the major geologic/scenic national Parks of the southwest including the Grand Canyon (although that will require either a two day out and back trip from Las Vegas, or better yet, make it your first destination from L.A. and then head to Vegas), Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, and then Rocky Mountain north of Denver before heading out onto the plains. Your route across Nebraska basically follows the old Oregon Trail so you might want to read up a bit on that segment of American pioneer history to make it more meaningful. Between Chicago and New York and then on to Chesapeake Bay you'll be driving through the industrial heartland of America, but still there are some scenic and relaxing stops such as Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, the Bass Islands in Lake Erie, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. There are a couple of ways to work your way down the east coast. And then working your way back west, take a look at Gulf Islands National Seashore, New Orleans, the Creole Nature Trail, the Alamo, Big Bend National Park, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Kartchner Caverns, and Joshua Tree National Park. There are also many, many smaller venues everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChip47
    Such great people in the USA
    Well, the accent helps, and many Americans (of a certain age) still remember what Perth did for John Glenn.

AZBuck

Thanks for the Welcome Dave :)
    Have already started using the RTA map centre and that has helped us a lot already.

G'day AZBuck:
    We did all the National Parks last time, camp for three days at the Grand Canyon I loved it :)
    Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Yosomite, Sequia, Fossel Falls. Cities. LA, Las Vegas Salt Lake City
    St George, Jackson, Reno, San Fransico then drove down that wonderful Coast Rode :) and all the Cities in between..

So Rocky Mountains is what we want to see next.. thanks for that all other new places have taken them down and will go look them up now.. thanks Mate

Cheers
    Doc

One thing that someone maybe able to help with, I started using the map centre and have fooled around n=making mpas with while I learnt to use it.

I now have a few of saved maps I'd like to remove, but blow me down if I can work out how too! Help!!!!

Doc, at this point, the saved maps can't be removed. This is a bit of programming that hasn't been done yet.