1. Default Southern road trip?

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and my friend and I are planning a road trip to the South for this June. We have two to three weeks to do this and we want to see a lot of the small towns and not travel too much in the commercialized areas. We aren't planning to go too deep into the South, but are pretty much planning to stay above Georgia. If you have any route ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default The Northern South

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

"Staying above Georgia" doesn't leave much of the South to explore, just Tennessee, the Carolinas and Virginia. But that area certainly includes some great small towns and scenic byways. Just a few worth your looking into: US-64 across southern Tennessee, the northern portion of the Natchez Trace Parkway, the Cherohala Skyway, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Lexington (VA), Shenandoah National Park, Montpelier, the Outer Banks, and the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway. There's more of course, but you only have two weeks and those should do to give you an idea of what's available.

3. Default

Going to the south, I would visit Savannah and Charleston. Take tours on one or two plantations. I´ve been to two which both where wonderful although I have to check up the names from the photoalbum if you´re interested. Take a horsecarriage and nightly ghosttrip in Charleston :) How about staying in a cozy b & b there?

4. Default Another vote for Charleston.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbuggy View Post
    Going to the south, I would visit Savannah and Charleston.
    If you visit Charleston, then you HAVE to walk the decks of OLD IRONSIDES (USS Constitution), the oldest U.S. Warship afloat. Walking the decks of this famous sailing warship from the War of 1812 is a true walk back into history. And admission is free!

Tucson, AZ

Default Wrong Charlesto(w)n

The USS Constitution is in Charlestown, MA not Charleston, SC, and although it is a fully commissioned US Navy warship, the only time it 'puts to sea' is to occasionally go out into the harbor and turn around so that it doesn't always have the same side to the sun.

6. Default

So sorry for that mistake!

BTW. There is an annual raffle to be on board when they turn the ship around every July 4.