Default Road trip from Denver to Portland, New Oregon

My friend and I are planning for a road trip during the Christmas from Denver, CO to Portland, OR crossing Utah and Idaho. This is our first winter road trip. I would like to know if it is safe to drive during this time (next week). Appreciate any suggestions to take care during the trip.

South of England.

Default Take your time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Interstates are a priority to keep clear and open to traffic, but are not immune from severe winter storms. The most important thing is to have the time and resources to take what time you need to make the trip safe. There is no point in crawling along in a storm at a few miles per hour hoping to get there quicker. If, in the event of a winter storm the roads become iced or snow begins to build, it is wise to pull into a service area for a few hours [or stop early at a Motel for the night] and let the road crews do their job of clearing the road and making it safe again while the storm passes. Hopefully you will not witness such conditions and have a straight forward drive, but even then I would allow 3 days for the drive.

I 80 to 84 is the most direct route with I 70 TO 84 an option that adds an hour or so to the journey. Check road and weather conditions before and during your journey, and make informed decisions about your day ahead travel, you will find useful links for info in this thread