1. Default Late Dec-Early Jan Trip from Northeast to South

We are planning on driving from Philadelphia,PA to Baton Rouge,LA (to visit friends) and drive back. We want to stay 2-3 nights on the road each way. Shortest route seems to be 81-20-59 but we don't mind taking a longer route for interesting places. I know it is not the best time of year for road trips in this area, but any suggestions on routes? places to see? places to stay? I am open to almost anything at this point.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Basic Ideas

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, you're certainly going to have to stop at least two nights each way, adding a third is all for the good. Even with just two overnights, your driving days would only be about 400 miles each leaving some time to visit some of the many attractions along the way. Yes, I-81/I-40/I-75/I-59 through Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Birmingham is the most direct route, and if you were doing that one way in three days (say southbound) highlights might be Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountain National Parks, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, maybe even a jog westward from Gadsden, AL to Tupelo, MS (Elvis' Birthplace) and then down the Natchez Trace Parkway to Jackson, MS and I-55 to Baton Rouge. With four days, you could take a slightly longer route, maybe combining the 'inland' coastal route with a drive along the Gulf shore.

Default Winter has arrived in the Blue Ridge and the Smokies

Hello Rabee,

While I believe any time of year is a good time to visit the Southern Appalachians, be advised that Winter has arrived, with emphasis, down this way. The NC Blue Ridge and the Smokies have received a couple of feet of snow since the beginning of December and two rounds of subzero lows in the higher elevations, with a white Christmas followed by single digit lows and highs in the low teens forecast for early next week. Read: what's on the ground today and what's coming Friday into Sunday ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

I rather suspect similar weather has affected the Blue Ridge in VA and I would definitely do some calling ahead to see just what portions of the Shenandoah NP, the Great Smoky Mountains NP, and the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway are accessible. There's a good chance of widespread closures due to the present and coming weather.