Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coast to Coast, San Diego, CA to Cocoa Beach, FL

Hi everyone, I will be driving from San Diego to Cocoa Beach the first week of February. I will be driving a 95 mustang gt which I just purchased (great price only 40k miles). My adult son will be with me so I won't be driving alone. So far it looks like I will be stopping in Deming, NM, San Antonio, TX, and then 2 nights in Biloxi, Ms before heading home to central Florida. Right now the stops seem ok, not too far every day but any advice and/or suggestions will be appreciated. What should I look out for, plan for etc. etc. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Default On the limit.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The distances you have set each day are nice and evenly spaced apart, but on [and slightly above] the upper limit of what we would recommend travelling on a multi day trip. If you experience any kind of delays such as poor weather conditions etc you will really be up against it.

I would be prepared for a 1 night stop in Biloxi, or making sure you have an extra day to hand if need be. To be honest, driving across the Country in a Mustang with your son could be pretty special, why not take a little more time if you have the opportunity, and make it a memorable adventure rather than a 12 hour a day sprint.

Sounds like it could be fun !

Welcome!

You are right at the edge of what we recommend for maximum driving days. You will need that extra day in Biloxi to rest up!

Default A Fair Bit Too Far at First

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think you're going to find, much to your regret, that trying to make the 2,500 mile drive from San Diego to Cocoa Beach in only four road days is going to prove to be too much. Even with two drivers, 600-650 miles a day gets to be a drain. Remember that the Mustang, especially in the GT version, is not a particularly comfortable car. Any sleep either of you might get will be fitful, and at the end of the day you're going to be aching. Sleep will be a long time coming each evening. I would strongly urge you to add a day to the drive between San Diego and Biloxi so that you can enjoy both the drive and your time on the Mississippi coast. Use that extra time to get out of the confines of the car for a short stretch and walk every few hours. Your muscles and bones will certainly appreciate it. Then, you will be in shape for the final 625 mile push to Cocoa - and have time to recover.

AZBuck

I certainly have no problem adding a day between San Diegp and Biloxi and still taking an extra day in Biloxi but my question is where should I shorten the driving day? I have some safety concerns along the Arizona border and wasn't sure it was a good idea to stop along the I10 in that area. Couldn't find a planning site that would let me plan by inputting daily driving distane. Suggestions about shorter distances/where to stop would be greatly appreciated. At 66 years of age softer and gentler is better.

Default Stops and the Border

Four relatively evenly spaced day's drives between San Diego and Biloxi would have you stopping for the night in roughly Tucson (AZ), Fort Stockton (TX), and Houston (TX). Those would have you 'in the saddle' about 9 hours a day leaving time for some much needed R&R. You might want to also look at taking a break on the Biloxi to Cocoa Beach leg, maybe just getting started after dinner on the last day of your stay in Biloxi and getting a few hours in before bedding down for the night.

As long as you stay on the main Interstates, I-8 and I-10, you should have no concerns about how close you are to the border. Actually you are as close to the border in San Diego as you'll get at any point in Arizona and the closest you get to the border is in southeastern California where you'll come within about 1/3 of a mile. But again, I wouldn't even give it a second thought, Tucson is roughly 60 miles from the border.

AZBuck

Thank you, I will now research hotels for those stops. It sure makes it easier to shorten the driving day. There are no time issues I just want to get home safely so stopping in northern florida is also an option. Thanks again

Default In the Cities

One more thing. As you research where to spend the night in Tucson and Houston, try to find accommodations on the far (south/east) side of town so that you aren't fighting inbound rush hour traffic as you try to get going in the morning.

AZBuck

I may have a bit of local info for you. The suggestion to stay south/east of the major metros is very valid, but in the case of Tucson, it may not be advisable. The southeast side of the city is the rough side from what I hear. You may want to press on to Benson for the night.

Buck, that's your home base, I'd like to hear if you concur or not. I may not have good info. My info comes from a truck driver that lives in Marana.

My mapping program, dividing up the drive, suggests the first night around Willcox, so Benson may work out quite well. Fort Stockton is right on. It does show the next stop on the west side of Houston, so you will have to decide when you want to deal with the traffic - on the way in or the way out - you are going to hit it either way.

If you're going to avoid an area of Tucson near I-10, it would be the more central part. Miracle Mile, for example, has lots of motels - but most of them have hourly rates. If you get down by the Airport or the Air Force Base (say Palo Verde) you shouldn't have any problems. If anything, you'll find more industrial neighborhoods than problematic ones.