1. Default Planning 2011 June/July Roadtrip - Route Ideas and Suggestions

I'm shooting for either June or July of 2011 to take a roadtrip for an undetermined amount of time. I'm saying undetermined, because I have the entire summer off and I could be gone for either 2 weeks or 12 weeks, who knows!? I'm at the very beginning of planning my route, and so far all I know is that I'd like to hit up as many national parks and attractions as possible, lol. Grand Canyon/Yellowstone/Yosemite/Redwood Forest/New York City/Las Vegas Strip/Baseball Hall of Fame are on my list so far. Obviously I will design my own route, but does anyone know of any nicely constructed or "popular" routes that fellow road trippers have driven that basically span across the entire United States? I'm just looking for something to get the ball rolling and give me some ideas. And also, does anyone know of a good roadtrip planning program? If it does NOT require internet access in order to use, then that would probably be preferred.

Also, if anyone recommends any MUST-SEE attractions, then feel free to let me know! FYI, I'm more of a landscape and natural beauty kind of guy... I'd rather see something like the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls as opposed to going to a well-known sports arena.

Thanks!

Really, the number of possible "must sees" in the US alone is in the millions, which is exactly why we just can't answer that sort of question. Throw in the fact that you've got a trip with a no limits on time or distance at this point, and its just way way way too vague for us to really be of any help. I'm sure you can find plenty of "prebuilt" routes (Roadtrip USA by Jamie Jensen is one book that lists off about a dozen of them) but the very idea of such a one size fits all approach goes very much against the very freedom and personalization that makes a roadtrip unique from other kinds of travel.

This site is filled with route tips, and attraction suggestions (and have entire sections of the site dedicated to those thing) and the new Map Center feature adds even another layer to that. Those are the sorts of things that can help you get the ball rolling enough so you can get to a point where we can help.

But ultimately, the question you've asked at this point is "what should I see in the United States" and that's not something that can be summed up in any forum response.

3. Default

Yeah, lol, I just realized that I made my post and overall question a little TOO vague hahaha..

Which route planning or "road trip" planning software would you recommend? I'd be willing to pay a small amount if it's worth it!

Thanks.

If you want to pay for software, then Streets and Trips is probably the best mapping program out there. It does have a few features you can't get with an online program.

However, with all of the free options out there online (again, including the brand new one here at RTA which is the only one I'm aware of that includes possible attraction ideas along with the route) I've never found it worth it to spend money on software.

5. Default

Cool, thanks again for the help. I was actually just fooling around with the RTA program here and it definitely seems quite awesome! I think for what I need it should more than suffice. Also, I didn't notice in your first reply, but I actually already own the book Roadtrip USA by Jamie Jensen and I think it's wonderful. I also have the 2010 edition of The Next Exit, and I'm going to have a AAA membership before I set sail. I definitely feel relatively well-equipped to start planning a route, but feel free to suggest any other books/programs/etc. that may be able to help me plan out this expedition. I definitely appreciate your knowledgeable advice! Thanks.

Hey!
    Sounds like you have an awesome trip ahead of you. I think that Midwest Michael is definitely right about the Streets and Trips software, I've planned my summer trip with it and its packet with features. I'm having the same dilemma as you, trying to decide what exactly I'm going to see next summer. Let me know if you know of any off-beat stuff to see along the route I'm taking ;)
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 12-18-2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: New members may not post off-site links