1. Default San Diego to Los Angeles

Planning to fly into San Diego soon and drive to Los Angeles. Can anyone suggest an area to stay in a hotel in between San Diego and Los Angeles if we leave San Diego around 7pm? I dont want to stay in San Diego that night but drive maybe 1/2 way towards Los Angeles. Area must not be too ritzy, average hotel price. I heard its about 3 hrs to LAX from San Diego so maybe an area 1 1/2 hrs in btwn both cities. Maybe Laguna Beach or Newport Beach but need easy route to get there. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tucson, AZ

Default I'd Suggest Oceanside

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Depending on where you're going in the L.A. Basin, you're only talking 2-4 hours from San Diego, but still if you'd rather not drive on the L.A. freeways after dark (and I don't blame you), probably you're best bet for the night is Oceanside, CA. This is home to Legoland and so moderately priced accommodations near I-5 will be plentiful. And just north of Oceanside is Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base. You'd have to drive at least to the far (northern) side of that if you kept going and then you'd be in San Clemente or San Juan Capistrano, moderately upscale communities, and the start of the OC and the L.A. Basin. If you drove all the way to Newport or there abouts, you're practically in L.A. and there's little point to stopping.