Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Rhode Island to California in January

My 21 year old daughter has to be in California for a job in January and wants to drive. She has gotten some friends to go with her. i am very nervous about this. From what i am reading there is really no way to go to avoid icy or snowy roads. She drives a 2010 Kia Forte. So should I try to talk her out of it and just ship the car?

2. Default

I forgot to mention she is going to Anaheim.

Default You gotta let them 'grow'.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

My 21 year old daughter has to be in California for a job in January and wants to drive. She has gotten some friends to go with her. i am very nervous about this.
    That's quite understandable. Putting your nerves to one side, do you think your Daughter is a sensible, mature 21 year old that you can normally trust to make her own decisions. Knowing your daughter and her friends, you have to decide whether your "talking her out of it" is for her benefit or yours. Sometimes you have to let them go and do their 'thing' to be able to grow. A lot of the time you don't have a choice in the matter, so rather than trying to talk her out of it, it might be best to discuss a plan, how it will work, budget etc.

For a start she would need to allow a week, it's a 6 day journey of 9 to 10 hours driving per day, plus some time spare for any possible weather delays. That's at least 6 nights of Motels and eating out plus the gas costs.

From what i am reading there is really no way to go to avoid icy or snowy roads.
    To put this in perspective, there is no single route that you can guarantee you won't see winter weather. This doesn't mean to say that you will certainly see snow and ice, if at all on the journey, and Interstates are a priority to keep clear and traffic moving. With up to date forecasts you can choose a route based on the predictions to try and avoid any winter storms. In this case I 80 or I 40 are both good options with only a few miles difference in the overall distance. If Interstate gets bad it's simply time to get off the road and let the storm pass and the road crews do their job.

I would sit down with her and discuss things, and then trust her to make the right choice, good luck !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-12-2010 at 09:26 AM.

4. Default

Well, thinking about it, it is partially for her benefit but mostly for mine! I wrongfully assumed I-40 would be clear of winter type weather and then after checking into it I saw it wasn't. So she will go to AAA and see what they map out for her. Some say that is the best thing to do. Thanks Dave!

5. Default RI to southern California via Colorado?

My daughter leaves for her cross country trip on Saturday. I thought she was going down south and then straight across on I-40 but now it seems her boyfriend wants to stop in Boulder Colorado to visit his family. Is this a smart idea and even doable this time of year? She has 6 days to make the trip. She also mention driving through the night (just one night). Is that a good idea? She'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Default very good, and very bad

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First things first, the plan to drive through the night is about the worst thing you can do on a trip like this. It really is every bit as dangerous as driving drunk, and sets you up to be exhausted for the entire rest of the trip (which is neither safe nor fun). 6 days is enough time to make the trip one way pretty comfortably, so doing so is certainly not a necessary thing anyway.

As far as adding in Boulder, that's not a problem at all. Obviously, all of Colorado is still inhabited throughout the winter, and they get to leave the state too! More seriously, any travel at this time of year involves the risk of seeing Winter Travel Conditions, and that would certainly still be true if you took I-40 (which sees plenty of snow and ice too). If they do see a storm, they will have to take the appropriate cautions, and perhaps even sit for a day to let the conditions improve.

Default Ditto

I 100% agree with Michael, driving through the night will put their body clocks out of whack and leave them feeling weary the rest of the trip and put their safety at risk if they continue driving through next day while exhausted. Get an early night and an early start in the morning by all means, but their body's will need sleep just like at any other time of the year.

[Please keep all questions about this trip in one thread, Thank-you]

8. Default

I agree about her not driving through the night but she didn't want to listen to me so i hoped she would listen to the experts. There are 3 going so she thinks if they switch off it will be ok. I like you, do not agree with her.
    And yes, i realized colorado is inhabited throughout the winter :) but didn't feel that mean't it's a good idea to visit. I just thought the winter condition may be difficult this time of year so why even attempt it?
    Thanks so much for your responses, I do appreciate it.

As far as visiting Colorado, as you've been told multiple times now, there is no way to do this trip without seeing the possibility of difficult weather conditions. Its very possible that Colorado could see perfect travel conditions, while I-40 could be in a winter ice storm. Now if there is a specific forecast about a storm heading for Colorado during the time they are scheduled to travel, that's could causes a reconsideration, but there will be no way of knowing that, really, until the trip is underway and they are approaching the Mississippi River.

An you can certainly tell her that having 3 people in the car is not much of a help, unless they are going to really treat this like work, being on a true rotation, where someone is always sleeping in the back, and two people are always awake in the front. That's not a fun way to travel, it requires a lot of work and disipline, and will turn a this roadtrip into a pretty miserable and grueling experience.

Doing it for "one night" really won't work, because that leaves 2 choices, throwing off at least 2 people's sleep cycles so severely that they won't be able to be properly rested for the road until about 2 days of rest away from the highway (making it counter productive), or traveling with a driver who isn't well rested and is a big danger on the road as noted in the stats I linked to above.

10. Default

I was not asking for more comments about driving in Colorado I was just explaining my previous question. I am so sorry, you will be pleased to know I will not be posting on this website ever again!