1. Default Portland, OR to Miami, FL [ PDX <=> MIA ]

Hi All,

We are planning to do road trip from Portland, OR to Miami, FL and back [10 to 12 days; we do not want to stop for sightseeing during the trip, plan to do them only at Miami]

Our travel itenary is:

Start from Portland, OR [PDX]

I-84 E
    US-395 N toward I-182/KENNEWICK/PASCO
    I-90 E
    I-65 S
    I-24 E
    I-75 S
    FLORIDA'S TURNPIKE S

End at Miami, FL

Start from Miami, FL [MIA]

I-75 N
    I-10 W/ I-12 W/ I-10 W
    I-49 N
    I-20 W
    I-635 N/ I-35E N/ I-35 N
    I-70 W
    US-6 W
    I-15 N
    I-84 W

End at Portland, OR

Pls let us know your feedback and suggestions

Thx

Default Um, Why?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You would need all 12 days available to you just to make the drive there and back by the most efficient route possible, let alone the ones you've outlined. So I guess my question is: What's the point of this trip other than burning gasoline?

AZBuck

I have to agree.

There's no time for any sightseeing in Miami - much less enroute. I love a good long drive as much as the next guy (actually, a lot more than the next guy), but I really see no point in driving 12+ hours a day every single day for 2 weeks.

4. Default 7000 miles in two weeks?

FLY!

You could probably get tickets for the cost of gas.

5. Default

Driving for 13 to 14 hrs and sleeping at night for 8 hrs
    Is it not practically possible?

Default No, It's Not

Go back and read through all the responses you got. They represent the combined, hard-won experience of some very well traveled folks, and they all indicated your plan was not going to work. Your 'new' question is exactly the question that those responders have already answered. You cannot cover so many miles in so few days and expect to have any fun or to make any memories other than those you'd wish you could forget. The basic problem is in your assumption that you can "Drive for 13 to 14 hrs and sleeping at night for 8 hrs." You probably think that would allow 13x70 ~ 900 miles a day. Nope, that means 11x55 ~ 600 miles a day, tops. When you live in the real world and factor in food, fuel and bathroom stops (all of which will take more time with multiple people in the car), traffic, construction, weather, and other inevitable delays; 550-600 mile a day is very good progress indeed.

What you are proposing is not some halcyon speed run for a day or two just to get somewhere. You are proposing a multi-day grind, day after day after day after day after day after day after......Yes, you can probably cover a few extra miles on the first day when you are all fresh and the adventure is new. But I guarantee you - by the third day making 500 mile will be a grind. You will hate each others' guts after being cooped up together non-stop in a 6x5x4 foot space. You will smell. You will disagree on musical choices. You will disagree on where to eat. You will simply need to get away from each other.

Please, the advice we give here is not meant to put a damper on youthful enthusiasm but to temper it with reality so that you have a good time and remain avid RoadTrippers. If you try to bring your original plan to fruition, you may never want to get in a car or speak to any of your current friends ever again.

AZBuck

Default One 12+ hour day? Doable.

One 12 hour day is doable. It's the second and third days that might kill you. My current trip plan is for two days of ten hour driving, and then much easier 3rd and 4th days. And I'm very flexible on my schedule, so I can stop along the way if necessary. I've already scoped out towns on the route, and I'm prepared for camping or sleeping in my truck if necessary.

Let's say you do make it to Florida in 4 days, perhaps by availing yourself of extracurricular chemicals. You're going to crash HARD when you get there (with or without marching powder). You're going to be in no shape to enjoy yourself or even interact with others. Take a plane.

Default Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by uscric View Post
    Driving for 13 to 14 hrs and sleeping at night for 8 hrs
    Is it not practically possible?
    What would your response be if an employer told you that it's practical to work for 14 hours a day while operating a potentially dangerous 2 ton machine, day after day after day ? If you felt you could do it, it would be nothing short of a miserable and exhausting daily grind, and that's where this trip is headed.

For your own safety and for that of those you share the road with, cut back the miles, extend your time, or fly and have a break to remember for all the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    What would your response be if an employer told you that it's practical to work for 14 hours a day while operating a potentially dangerous 2 ton machine, day after day after day ?
    My response would be to explain that my rate was $400 for 10, and $60/hour for the next four hours, then $80/hour. I'd also demand a 9 hour turn around (the time between the end of the working day and my call time for the next day.) If I didn't get the turn around, then the next day begins at the $80/hour rate.

However, with the work I used to do, there were frequent opportunities to catch paid catnaps. That's pretty hard to do while driving. Definitely not advised.

And you're right, Dave. It can turn an otherwise great job into a miserable exhausting grind. Thank goodness every day wasn't like that, and that there were frequent breaks between jobs. (Sometimes unwelcome extended breaks, when I wished I had a little miserable grind to pay the bills!)