Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Texas to California

My husband and I are planning a trip in Oct of 2011 to leave from Central Texas to Alameda, California to visit the USS Hornet then back to Long Beach to visit the Queen Mary and back to Texas. So far I have us stopping along the way at six different RV parks. I would appreciate any In's and out's for this trip as well as DON"T GO THERE. This will be our first long trip and I think my husband is a little nervous about the drive. We will be pulling a 5th wheel. My biggest concern are the Santa Ana winds and the mountains.

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Aquazul

Default More questions than answers.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Perhaps you could fill us in with more detail and then let us know what "In's and outs" you would like help with. You say you have 6 different RV parks to stop at along the way, but we don't know where they are, or "the way". How long have you got for the trip in total ?

I wouldn't be worrying too much about winds at this point, and mountains are something that millions have to cope with all the time. Interstates are built to a standard with gradual curves and gradients so the biggest of rigs can 'conquer' them.

With 6 stops planned along the way you certainly have plenty of time and some to spare for a little sight seeing. There are plenty of places you could go, but perhaps the only place I can say "Don't go there" is into Mexico, where there a lot of problems with the drug wars.

Mountains are a genuine concern with a 5th wheel unless you have a properly equipped tow vehicle - which should be a long bed heavy duty pickup truck with a turbodiesel. Gasoline engines run out of breath real quick at high elevations. My recommendation to keep the mountains to a bare minimum would be I-10 to Phoenix, then either US-60/93 to I-40, or stay on I-10 to US-95 to I-40. Take I-40 to CA-58 to Bakersfield, then CA-99 or I-5 north to the SF bay area. Take I-580 to Alameda.

Going back south, you will have to either deal with the Grapevine on I-5 or take US-101 into the LA basin. Once you are in the basin, you can take I-10 all the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are plenty of places you could go, but perhaps the only place I can say "Don't go there" is into Mexico, where there a lot of problems with the drug wars.
    You may want to stay away from the border towns. Anywhere on Interstate 8 would be close for comfort along with Interstate 10 from Sierra Blanca, TX through New Mexico. I've heard news reports where gunfire can be heard from across the border in these border areas. I wouldn't stay there for a night in any instance.

I've driven I-10 and I-8 all the way through there, and haven't had any issues. I've stayed in hotels in Yuma, Casa Grande AZ, and Lordsburg NM. However, I-8 has a difficult mountain stretch between San Diego and El Centro which is noted for high winds. I don't think I'd want to pull a 5er over that unless I had to.

6. Default

Hi GLC,
    Thank you for your reply. I probably should let my husband answer you about the our truck. It is a diesel and it has a tow package in it.

Our plan is to travel straight to Pleasanton, CA so that we can visit the USS Hornet. Our stops along the way are Fort Stockton, Deming, NM, Casa Grande, AZ, Escondido, CA, Bakersfield, CA and then Pleasanton, CA. However reading some of the other post I feel we should just take I10 all the way into LA and then on to Pleasanton. So that will change where we stay after Casa Grande, AZ; do you have any suggestions as to places to stay going I-10 from Casa Grande, AZ to Los Angeles? Like I said this is our first really big trip. We will do some sight seeing on the way back and stopping to visit the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I was on the Queen Mary as a war baby so the visit is on my Bucket List.

We are planning for three weeks to get this all done. My husband is still working but I've retired.

Thanks again,

Being that you do have a diesel, I wouldn't worry about the mountains. However, I would avoid as much of the LA basin as you can on the way to Pleasanton. Take I-10 into San Bernardino, then I-215 to I-15 over the Cajon Pass. Get off on US-395 and take that through Adelanto to CA-58. Turn left and take that to Bakersfield. Take CA-99 north to CA-46 and take that over to I-5.

Where in central TX will you be leaving from? How many hours per day are you wanting to be on the road?

8. Default

Iwill be leaving on I-10 about halfway between houston and san antonio. Would like to be on the road 5hrs per day. The most I have gone is up to denton tx,290 miles. I have a F-250 diesel and a 34ft 5th wheel, pulls good going down the road.

thanks racecar

Hi! Are you aquazul's hubby? Welcome!

If you only want to drive about 5 hours a day, it's going to take you 6 days to get to Pleasanton. It's going to take you 2 days just to get to El Paso! I don't know where to suggest you stop for the first night, I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso is very desolate. Your best shot is probably Fort Stockton, but that's more than 5 hours from where you are starting.

The rest of the stops look like they can be made around El Paso/Las Cruces, Tucson, Blythe, and Bakersfield.

FYI, California speed limit while towing is 55.

10. Default

Yes I am aquazul's husband. Will leave early to get to Fort Stockton, then Deming, NM then Casa Grande, AZ. This is as far as we have planned. Let me know what you think. I am using map quest and good sam to find RV parks.
    55 in California.......
    Thanks