1. Default Winter road trip from Phoenix to Seattle...with dogs

First time poster here -- you all have a wonderful site!

So my fiance, our 5 year old golden retriever and 4 month old golden pup are taking a road trip from Phoenix to Seattle during the last two weeks in December, in our 96 Cherokee (v4, not v6). We've made a similar trip from San Diego to Seattle before...but during the summer.

My goal is to find the safest and most efficient road possible. We have several people to visit with along the way so we're more concerned with getting there quickly and in one piece than with the scenery along the way.

Our main stops on the way north would be Victorville, Santa Rosa, and arriving in Seattle. We are open to traveling back south via a different route through Boise and Las Vegas, but perhaps this is madness as this brings us through mountains. Any advice as to the best route, or highways to avoid, would be much appreciated! And any dog-centric tips are welcome, too.

Thanks again!

Welcome!

Take I-10 to I-215 to I-15 to Victorville. Then take US-395 to CA-58 to Bakersfield, then CA-99 to Sacramento. From there, take I-80 towards SF and cut across CA-12 to Santa Rosa.

Then, take CA-12 back to I-80 and take that to I-5 to go north. Your only possible problem area will be in the Siskiyous in northern CA and southern OR. I would have a set of tire chains in the car just in case, you may be required to put them on unless your Jeep is 4wd with snow tires on all 4 wheels.

Going back through Boise and Las Vegas is hardly madness. The only real problem area may be Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 just outside Seattle. The rest of the way is really not that mountainous.

The mountain states all have excellent snow removal crews and they aggressively try to keep the Interstates open, because commerce depends on them. Keep an eye on weather and road conditions online, if things get too bad just find a hotel and wait it out. If you Google "pet friendly hotels" you will find several links to sites that will help you find appropriate hotels.

Default Unpredictable

Hello and welcome, glad you are enjoying the RTA site !

As glc mentioned, you need to keep up to date with road and weather conditions as it is far to early to draw conclusions as to what might need "avoiding".

We have several people to visit with along the way so we're more concerned with getting there quickly and in one piece than with the scenery along the way.
    I know exactly what you mean, but the two don't always go hand in hand. Having enough time in hand so not to feel rushed, and be able to pull off the road as glc suggested is the most important aspect.

4. Default

Hey......... any chance you want to go sooner (like next week) and have room for two more dogs?

We just moved to Seattle in August. I drove over to LA and up the I-5 as it was just me and my two daughters in a UHaul with our van on the back. I felt better doing that route rather than going the shorter route up through Idaho. That said, the UHaul broke down just east of Coachella. I was GLAD to NOT be hundreds of miles from a large city. If you're more concerned with safety, I'd stay to the major routes through California.

Seriously? If you have a van or something large? I'm willing to pay $350 for my dogs to be brought to Seattle area.

Jill - this thread is from 2010, so I think this trip was done 5 years ago!