1. Default Non-Stop Los Angeles to Vancouver

Hey y'all,

I found this site on google and you guys seem to know what you are talking about so here goes...

A buddy and I are going up to Vancouver for x-mas and New Years. We don't really want/can stop since are hotel reservations are for the 24th. We would leave on the 23rd, and I'm aware that the trip itself is 22 hours (at limit). But I've heard that the weather can get a little messy up there. Does anyone have any tips if they have done this.

This is what I know thus far-

The fastest route is shoot up the I-5. But the problem is apparently it has a tendency to close as snow gets heavy up there. My question is if this happens I don't want to stop, are there any ways to bypass this without travailing halfway around the damn states?

Chains are a must so I've got that locked down.

And thats about the extent of my road trip knowledge.

Welcome!

Sorry, guys - we cannot support a 1300 mile straight through drive in ANY season. Leave bright and early on the 23rd, early enough to get out of LA before rush hour (and THAT would even be pushing it) and stop halfway for the night or buy plane tickets. Your halfway point will be just across the Oregon line - Ashland, Medford, or Grants Pass. By the time you get back to read this, I'm sure that at least one moderator, if not more, will amplify on my statement. It's just plain unsafe to both you and the other vehicles on the road to drive for 24 hours straight.

The only real way to bypass I-5 is go along the coast on US-101 and that's very slow going. That would add yet another day to the drive. Once you get past Sacramento, you may be committed to I-5, the only ways back over to the coast farther north are mountain 2 lane roads until you get well into Oregon.
    Last edited by glc; 12-02-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Default Ditto.

Welcome to RTA !

Honestly, It would be madness to try this trip straight through. You know you can leave on the 23rd and have to be there on the 24th, so at the very least do as glc mentioned. Even this would be pushing the limits and if you see severe weather you are at risk of putting yourselves in danger because of the 'need to be there'.

Options 1] Arrange to leave on the 22nd.

Option2] Leave on the 23rd, stop overnight and be prepared for delays that might mean a forfeit on your room on the 24th.

3] Fly.

Sorry, but your plan is not an option, no way. Having been on the road for 15 hours already and driving in the small hours when your body wants to sleep, plus the risk of black ice, snow storms and a need to be 'there' is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it to ensure you are here to enjoy the festivities !

Have a safe journey.

Default it really can't be stressed enough

Your plan is extremely reckless, every bit as dangerous as driving drunk, and a game of russian roulette that is quite likely to be deadly for yourself or one of the thousands of others who will be on the road traveling for the holidays.

These are the statistics about just how dangerous your plan would be, and that's even before you factor in the increased dangers because of the weather/terrain and the traffic for the holidays. Even doing this over 2 full days on the road, with a full night of sleep along the way, this would be pushing the limits of safety.

There is no route that can avoid mountains in a timely fashion (going along the coast will basically double your needed travel time), there is no magic pill (even chains) to keep driving when the weather conditions break down, and there is no way you can safely do what you've proposed.

Ask yourself this: Is meeting a deadline for something as trivial as a hotel reservation worth risking your life, or worth risking having a "reservation" at a state prison for the next 20 years because you've killed a family on Christmas Eve?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 12-02-2010 at 05:33 AM.

5. Default

Uh wow, Sorry didn't mean to cause an uproar. I forgot to mention that obviously we would be stopping for sleep, food, more sleep and ect., just not laying over for a day like most road trips go. Also just wanted to see if there are any other routes to avoid the highs, like bypassing using the 97.

I'm well aware of the problems that lack of sleep can cause on the road behind the wheel of a 2 ton piece of metal flying at unsavory speeds. And Again I'm sorry for the misleading Subject. I drive a front wheel drive coupe so it's not really built to tackle the snow like an SUV would be. Any Ideas? Or is it just the 5 all the way up?

Thanx

When you say you plan to drive "non-stop" people do tend to take you on your word that you plan to drive without stopping.

Hopefully you are planning to stop for a full night on the road, but as has been mentioned, its still two very full days. There really are no other realistic option other than I-5, as any other route is going to either going to take a significantly larger amount of time, and/or involve two lane roads that don't get nearly the attention of a major interstate highway.

The simple reality is that this trip is going to involve going over mountain passes that can and do see winter conditions. If you do hit any significant amount of winter weather (basically anything that would require you to use chains, thus reducing your speed to well under 30 mph), even doing this in 2 days really will be more than you can realistically and safely do.

97 is certainly not immune from bad conditions - and the speed limit is 55 through the whole state of Oregon (as is the limit on all non-Interstates). It would be faster than 101 in good conditions, but not by much.

8. Default

Yes again when I mean non stop We don't plan on staying at every "major" tourist location on the way. But i'll keep the lingo in mind next time I post :-). I see, so the 5 is the best bet. Well thanks guys.

One more thing is as far as chains go I've found these http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...ain%20097.aspx I was wondering if there are cheaper ones I can get because these are way too pricey for my taste. I have alloy rims so can't really mess around with just run of the mill ones.

Thanx

You don't need anything near that elaborate. Go find a Walmart and buy a set of cheap cable chains, that's all you need. I got a set last year for my sister's Grand Prix with 225-60-16 tires on alloys for $28 plus tax at the Walmart in El Cajon near San Diego so she could head up to Big Bear to go skiing. Cables don't touch the rims and they are very lightweight.

Q1. What are cable chains and how are they different from traditional link tire chains.

A1. Cable chains are a new breed of tire chain that instead of using large, heavy steel links, these cable chains use a high strength steel aircraft cable surrounded by alloy steel traction coils. These cable chains offer better traction and a smoother ride than traditional chains. Also, because of their lower profile, just about any vehicle can use cable chains, including today's high-performance cars and trucks. Have a sports car that won't go in the snow? …cable chains will make it go! In addition, their very light weight makes them easy to install, take off and store away. Some cable chain models use special rubber tighteners, which means you don't have to stop your vehicle to retighten.
    Picture