Default HELP!! Planning Cross Country East to West Road Trip 6/21/2011 through 7/9/2011

Help!!
    I am a blank slate, trying to plan a cross country road trip from New England to the West Coast. Here is what I know. We can do 1 way and fly back. We would prefer to do it in an RV. We have 2 small dogs that will be coming with us. I'm not sure this is even possible, but I need help. I am brand new and looking for any suggestions, help, starting points, etc.

Default what's the question

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Certainly what you are talking about can be done, and is done all the time. The biggest things you'll have to worry about regarding the RV rental are the dogs - I'm not sure what rules and restrictions you might see about bringing dogs in a rental - and the one way drop fee, which will likely be several hundred dollars.

Beyond that, I'm not really seeing what sorts of questions you have. Just throwing everything off as a "blank slate" really makes it difficult for others to know how to help you. I'd recommend you spend a little time looking around this site which is full of tips, idea, and article, and when you have some specific things you're unsure about, then we'll be in a much better position to give you help that's actually helpful, instead of random.

Which state are you planning to get to? Where are you coming from? Do you want to go straight over the northern half of the country or a route that takes you to the south west? 20 days to do this trip is more than enough. A one way trip, at minimum, would take 5 days. You have no worries there.

Take out a map. Find point A and point B and look at the options to get there. This is the best part of planning and there is no wrong answer in your route, especially with 20 days.

The one piece of advice I could give you right away is to take it slow over the 110 degree desert areas if you choose the south west route.

Ok, so even these couple of suggestions and points have helped out. And now after doing some more research and talking with my wife. We sort of have a plan we would like to do North on the way out and south on the way back. We will be leaving from Manchester NH, and would like to be in Manhattan Beach, CA (right outside LA) for 7/4. I know this changes everything since we are doing roundtrip, and know that the trip back will be more driving than site seeing. We are planning on leaving after work on Friday 6/24 and being back home by Saturday 7/9 to drop off the RV. So 15 full days .
    So I guess first, any idea on costs aside from the RV rental and gas? What are some things I should be factoring in? Also any suggestions on must see places? Where can we park the RV overnight? Any thoughts, comments, etc... will be greatly appreciated!

15 days for a coast-to-coast round trip is going to be kinda rushed, and I don't know if you will be able to fully enjoy what a RV can do for you. You just are not going to have the time to be able to linger in any one location.

Would it make more sense then to do it in our car and then pay for hotel/motel? Will that be cheaper?

An RV is much more of a lifestyle choice than an economical one. If you are only looking at the financial aspect, then yes, cars/motels will be cheaper.

But even that really doesn't impact the bigger picture. 15 days just isn't a lot of time to drive from coast to coast and back. At a speed run type pace, you need 10-12 days just to complete the driving, so you really will have very little time to explore anything along the way or at your destination. Your current plan of sprinting from LA back to NH in 5 days is even pushing the limits a bit - as you'll have to be on the road for 12+ hours a day every day for those 5 days. Its possible, but its not going to be much fun, and it will not leave any time for anything extra.

Basically, your current plan works out to about 1 day of "fun" for every 4 hard days you spend beyond the wheel. That's dramatically different than what you first proposed, when you had more days and were only doing a one way trip. Have you really considered just how drastic of a change that is?

I mentioned this earlier in another post but in case you don't see it... dogs are not allowed in most if not all National Parks. You can have them in your RV or car, but make sure you take them for a potty break before you enter the park, and if it's a hot day you won't be able to get out and walk around. NEVER leave a living soul in a hot, humid car even for a minute. Other than that I think travelling with dogs is a blast. They seem to love it too. How are you going to fly them back? Cargo?

dogs are not allowed in most if not all National Parks.
    Sorry, but that's just not true. You need to research this on the nps.gov site for each park, the regulations will be spelled out in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by lgoldsmith64 View Post
    dogs are not allowed in most if not all National Parks. You can have them in your RV or car, but make sure you take them for a potty break before you enter the park, and if it's a hot day you won't be able to get out and walk around.
    I'm sorry, but it bears repeating that this is completely false. Each park has different restrictions, but there is not a single National park in the US where pets are not allowed out of the car and/or you'd have to wait until you're out of the park before they can take a potty break.

It is true that National Parks typically do have restrictions, and fully enjoying a national park is more difficult with a pet. For example, dogs typically are not allowed on trails. But pets will be usually allowed in common areas like parking lots as well as in other locations such as within campgrounds.