Default Planning a summer roadtrip in 2012 west to east

Hey everyone!
    Myself and two friends at university are planning to travel from the west coast to the east coast and have three months to do it, we're saving up and are serious about doing it! Any advice on which states to hit and things to do will be greatly appreciated! As well as any advice on whether hiring a car or buying one together would be a better option...just worried about paying insurance premiums as we'll only be 21 and 22 respectfully!
    Thank you!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Buying a car as an international visitor really isn't possible - there's just too much red tape and legal hurdles. That pretty much means renting is your only option, but that's going to be quite expensive. Because of your ages, you're looking at a fee of about $25 per day, before you factor in the rental rate, insurance, and a one way fee.

I would suggest that if you are going to be able to do this trip for 3 months, you should consider doing a loop, as that will save quite a bit of money for your rental car and your flights.

Otherwise, really start saving, and spend a lot of time searching for rental deals - as they will vary significantly, and it make take a lot of searching to find a deal that will make a trip like this a little less expensive.

South of England.

Default It's huge.

Take a look around the RTA site for ideas and trip planning techniques, and as you narrow things down a little use the search function and key words to get more detailed info. The US is huge and with a 3 month travel plan and a cross country trip, there are just too many things to make it even remotely possible to make any worthwhile suggestions as to what to see at the moment.

One common theme here that you will notice is that we don't do "must See's", as one persons perfect destination is another's nightmare. That is what makes the Roadtrip real special, having the independence to go where you want, when you want.

As you research be sure to ask more specific questions about your trip.

Thank you so much for your advice! We are considering doing like two separate trips with one starting in Oregon and ending in Chicago as one of my friends has relatives in Chicago. Then fly to the South and then end up in Boston or New York.

Green County, Wisconsin

Are you going to have unlimited funds available for this trip? If not, how much money are you going to have available?

The trip you've listed is about the most expensive way to travel. As I mentioned before, if you do a one way trip, you're going to incur a one way drop free on a rental car which will cost you several hundred dollars. The idea you just listed would have 2 drop fees, plus additional money for a one way flight.

If you've each got about $20,000 for this trip, then I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're trying to save up for this trip yourselves, then I'd think you'd be looking for simple things that would allow you to have a great trip without burning through piles of cash.

We're planning on around £3000 each but whatever is cheapest really, we're easy about planning routes and whatever, but thanks for your advice!

when i say 3 months, thats just how long we could potentially spend in the states with our visas! I dont think we would want to be driving for 3 months straight!