1. Default California Trip - San Fran, Napa, Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Big Sur

Hi folks!

First time poster, hoping to get some feedback on an itinerary for a 10 day trip in May 2011. Myself and my fiance are flying to San Francisco from Dublin, arriving at 7pm on Friday 13th May. Having looked at countless threads on the RTA forum I've come up with the following itinerary:-

13th - arrive San Francisco - check into hotel
    14th - sightseeing/exploring SF
    15th - sightseeing/exploring SF
    16th - hire car - drive to Napa Valley for wine tasting tour, stay one night Yountville
    17th - Napa Valley to Yosemite - explore valley, stay at El Portal
    18th - day explorind/hiking in Yosemite
    19th - day exploring/hiking in Yosemite
    20th - drive Yosemite to Sequoia NP - afternoon exploring
    21st - drive to Cambria - overnight
    22nd - drive to Glen Oak Motel - Big Sur
    23rd - Big Sur to San Fran via Big Basin - drop off car - final afternoon in SF
    24th - depart SF early morning

The querie I have basically are whether this is viable, or whether I should perhaps look to spend an extra night anywhere, dropping the final night in SF, or the night in Sequoia or Napa? Worth noting that our flight home is really early on the morning of the 24rd.

We'd also considered reversing the intineary, finishing in SF, but we thought that we'd be best not driving for a day or two until we're over jet lag! Would also consider doing the whole trip in reverse, starting with the drive down Pacific Coast Highway, and finishing in Napa.

We're interested in a range of activities - love city breaks, relaxing, hiking, and sightseeing - so everything on the itinerary appeals to us!

Any tips and advice appreciated!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I think you've come up with a very good plan.

The one suggestion I'd make is that you tweak your coastal legs. Its a long way from Big Sur to San Francisco - and really more than you can do in a morning. I would look at either spending the night at Monterey instead of Big Sur (exploring Big Sur on your day between there and Cambria) or add an extra day here. Monterey is a nice city to explore for a day anyway.

Sequoia you may be a little rushed here too, depending upon how exactly you do this and where exactly you spend the night. I think at the very least, on your last day at Yosemite, I'd leave in the afternoon and start making my way towards Sequoia. Even staying in Fresno would give you a helpful head start.

Joplin MO

I would do it in reverse - traveling the coast road is better from north to south because the scenic pullouts will be on your side of the road.