1. Default Southeast in 18 days

Hi all,

my girlfriend and I are planing to explore the SE of the USA. We want to do the trip in March. We will start in Naples, FL, but we have already seen FL therefore we want to go north.
    I was thinking to make the first stop in St. Augustine because it should be very nice.
    Then north to Charleston, or is Savannah better?
    After that we want to go into the mountains to Asheville, NC.

That is more or less our plan. It would be great if somebody has some other ideas or infos for us.

Thank You ver much!

Default NC mountains in March

Hello nardo,

Early Spring RoadTripping in the Southeast is a great way to see this part of the US.

Be advised, however, that March is normally very much Winter in the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. At elevations of 3,500' to just under 7,000', typical of the mountain region of NC, the trees don't leaf out until late April/early May. Snowfall is common in March and long stretches of the Blue Ridge Parkway can remain closed for days to weeks, as little effort is made to plow it during Winter. Other highways, of course, are kept open during snowy times.

In recent times, a monster snowstorm dumped 6 to 8 FEET of snow in these mountains on March 13, 1993. Just last year, 5 feet of snow remained on the ground in the vicinity of Boone, NC in early March, and more fell later in March. While these two events were atypical, they demonstrate my point that Winter comes early and stays late in the NC mountains. During the "Spring" semester at my alma mater, Appalachian State (Boone, NC), we wore winter clothing right up until exam time, in early May, with but a handful of warm, bluebird days preceding exams.

Asheville itself, on the other hand, lies at some 2,000-2,500' in a temperate valley surrounded by much higher elevations, and can be quite mild in March.

So, come on up. Just don't expect to see the same Springtime greening and blooming up here that you will have seen along the coast and the Piedmont.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

3. Default

Hey Foy,

thanks for the information. I was actually thinking about the snow, but did not imagine that it can get so bad. The smartest thing is to do an alternative route in case that roads are closed.
    However, I would really like to see the Appalachian Mountains :(
    On the other hand, cold, snowy and sunny walks in the mountain or village might also be very nice and romantic :)

My problem is that in FL we only have summer tires. Do you think that this might be a problem in March?

Thank You!

Joplin MO

Even your "summer tires" are all-season rated. If the roads are bad enough where they are unsafe, you (and everyone else) don't belong out on the road and you should be in a hotel somewhere.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Other Venues

First off, there is no 'better' between Savannah and Charleston, only the city that you and your girlfriend will most enjoy. Both offer romantic walks through Revolutionary and Antebellum neighborhoods. Savannah is well known for its many picturesque squares. Charleston offers the old market and the ferry ride out to Fort Sumter. I know that Charleston offers reasonably priced horse-drawn carriage rides through the old city, Savannah probably does as well. Charleston offers the old plantations along the Ashley River. I just don't think you'll go far wrong in either romantic city.

On the drive home from the mountains, take a look at coming through western Georgia rather than just rushing sown the Interstate with possible stops at Calloway Gardens outside Pine Mountain, FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs, Andersonville National Historic Site, and a final stop at Cedar Key, FL.

Default Anything is possible...

..........including not a speck of snow in sight.

As noted, the 1993 event was then called the Storm of the Century, and NC mountain snowfall in 2009-2010 exceeded seasonal totals going back to 1960. I noted snow potential because many who consider traveling to the NC mountains in Spring are not aware of its very late arrival up here nor are they considering the possibility of snow.

I wouldn't be worried about the tires. Front-wheel-drive cars with normal all-season tires do fine in snow, and if we get another epic event, you'd probably choose not to drive into the middle of it.