1. Default Sacramento to New York

hello everyone i am planning to go on a road trip with my cousin to new york but while visiting a lot of great historical places and meeting new people on the way. My first stop will be the grand canyon and following through to texas, mississippi river, washington d.c. , and philidelphia than new york and on the way back i plan to see the niagra falls ohio indiana chicago mount rushmore vancouver seatle portland than back to sacramento... on the way to new york i have to be there in 7 days to pick up my other freind who will join us at the airport how long would i have to take vacation to enjoy and how much money you think i would need i dont plan on staying in any hotels i can take a month off of work but sometimes i think that is too short and i am also planning on going in March but am kind of worried about the weather i do not wish to confront snow because i have a puny little honda but i dont want to wait till it gets way too hot what is everyone elses opinion and i wish to add more destinations to my list

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not really sure exactly what you are trying to do, other than a loop of a trip. You mentioned a week to get to New York - and you need to pick up a friend at the airport there - but you don't yet know when you are going to go or how long you will be gone?

What I can tell you is that March is still a month that can and does see snow, obviously the earlier in the month, the more likely you are to see it.

Otherwise, your trip is really too vague for us to give you much more in the way of specific ideas or destinations, but as you develop more of a plan, and as you have more specific questions we'll do our best to help.

My first stop will be the grand canyon and following through to texas, mississippi river, washington d.c. , and philidelphia than new york
    And you plan on seeing all that and getting there in 7 days?

i dont plan on staying in any hotels
    Where do you plan on sleeping?

Could we ask you to please take a little more time to write your posts? Your writing style is very difficult to read, you really need to break each thought up into its own sentence and use punctuation. Thank you.

Default Reality.

Your route to New York is 6 solid day's of driving, without time for anything but food and bathroom breaks and to stretch your legs, it is a 5 day trip heading straight across the country.

If you have camping equipment, it will take time to set up and break down camp each day, and if you don't, please don't even consider sleeping in the car night after night ! You will not get a good night's rest, and by day 3 you will be exhausted and a danger to yourself and others on the road.

If you can get a Month off work, either take more time going to New York, or start your road trip 'proper' when you have collected your friend.

5. Default

okay sorry everybody i was in a rush let me start over...

I am planning on going on a road trip from Sacramento to New York. I want it to be more of an adventure with a lot of mini stops and a lot a nice scenic view of the United States. I will be taking my cousin with me and we plan on taking turns driving all the way there. instead of just getting on 80 basically just driving straight through to new york i would really like to drive through the south. so far is I plan on leaving on a Thursday all the way to the grand canyon. Friday spend that hole day in the grand canyon. Saturday and Sunday i will go visit a friend in Phoenix, Arizona. Monday continue on my journey to New York. I haven't figured out the rest of my schedule but i plan on hitting Washington D.C. and Philadelphia i don't plan on staying in any of those places i would just maybe like to get off and walk around for maybe an hour or two go sight seeing. Maybe a little bit unplanned sight seeing on the way there. Than in New York i will pick up one of my friends from Sacramento from the airport. I am planning on bringing a tent and a sleeping bag and also thinking of sleeping in my car if i become to tired. If its urgent i would be open to staying at a hotel.

You people say 7 days is too short? how long do you think i would be able to do it in?

and now that you say im planning on leaving at maybe the end of march or early april

Thank you.

You are starting the trip off on the wrong foot. It's 800 miles from Sacramento to the Grand Canyon, and you should NOT attempt to drive it in one day. This will take you about 14 hours, only stopping for gas and brief rest stops. This may be okay for a one-time trip, but not when you will be on the road for a whole month. We recommend a maximum of 600 miles a day, and that assumes only Interstate highways with no sightseeing whatsoever and using hotels.

Phoenix to NYC is 2600 miles, and even with BRIEF stops in DC and Philly it's at least a 5 day drive. With where you want to go and what you want to do, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 10 days to get to NYC from Sacto, 2 weeks would be a lot better if you want to see anything other than what you can see out of the windows of your car at 70 mph and get any kind of meaningful daily rest.

You can't sleep in a Honda and get any kind of meaningful rest - and with 2 people that's just crazy.

Default a giant contradiction

The huge thing that stands out to me about what you've planned is that what you say you want to achieve, and then what you say you plan to do are just complete opposites of each other.

On one hand you say you want this to be "an adventure with lots of mini-stops and scenic views."

But then you've got a plan where you talk about taking turns driving (making it sound like you're trying to deeply extend your driving days), and the couple places you say you want to stop, you're just planning to visit for an hour or two - which doesn't sound like much of an adventure since by the time you've gotten off the freeway and parked your car, you'll have already used up an hour of time! And of course, you're starting your trip with a brutal 800 mile day on the road which is going to leave zero time at all to do anything other than drive for 14-15 hours straight.

Adventure takes time, and any day where you're planning to drive more than about 500 miles, you simply won't have time for those mini-stops you claim to want, keep that in mind with your planning or you're just going to have a really long drive - not much of an adventure.

You would need to shower and freshen up at some stage. Also get some proper rest at some point as well.

9. Default

It took around 6 days for me to drive DC to NorCal on i-80 and about 7-8 hours/day. And I stayed at a motel to get a good rest every night. Can't imagine doing any sight seeing or w/e. About every 2 pit stops, I would take a much needed nap in my car for 30 minutes. I stopped around every 250 miles.

Sight seeing would mean driving on small, slower roads with stop lights, etc. I was doing 80-90 average on i-80. Then there's stopping to see stuff. I don't see how you can do much anything in 7 days.

I did leave every morning at around 11am though b/c I wanted to have a nice meal, watched some TV and wanted a nice sleep....but still drove until 7pm or more.

I was doing 80-90 average on i-80.
    We definitely do not advise driving recklessly like that.