Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 5 day road trip: Orange County to State College PA

Hello All,

I am relocating in an 07 civic si beginning next Saturday (Nov. 20). I would like to take the 1-40 because of potential complications with weather but like the cities off the I-80 route. The weather predictions also dont look too bad.

Any suggestions on route, places to eat, how to avoid tickets, and other tips that would improve this journey.

Should be a lot of fun, with a lot of driving and not too many problems. Thanks

Frank

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Unless you've got a specific forecast showing bad weather on I-80, there's no reason that I-40 would necessarily have better or worse weather - and even at 6 days out you're a bit far to have a real accurate forecast.

As far as places to eat go, there's far too many restaurants that change hands far too often for us to have any specific suggestion on a trip of this size - but asking locally is always a good bet.

Bet bet for avoiding tickets is simple - don't break traffic laws. Its really just that simple.

5 days will be a nice amount of time - as long as you don't hit bad weather you should be able to make the trip comfortably, making a few short stops every few hours along the way.

3. Default

I originally intended on going from OC to Albuquerque on the first day (775 mi.) then from Albuquerque to OKC, OKC to Memphis (because i want to check out beale st.), Memphis to either KY or WV and last stop PA. This seems like it would have better food stops, bbq and tex/mex.

I think a more enjoyable road trip (scenic-wise) might be through denver on the i-80, though it doesnt seem like any good stops line up for daily stops.

Thank you for a quick response, this forum is a great service

A few things

First, I-80 doesn't go through Denver - that would be I-70.

Second, every interstate has plenty of options for places to stop at regular intervals. It will be rare to go more than 50 miles without coming across a town with lodging, restaurants, and other traveler services. A stretch of I-70 in eastern Utah is really the longest stretch, and even that is only about 100 miles.

Third, I'd strongly recommend you rethink how much you are driving in a day. 775 miles is a brutally long day on the road that will leave you exhausted and in no condition to do another long day of driving the following day. On a multi-day trip, limiting yourself to 500-600 miles is a much more safe and reasonable plan and will having you in much better position to enjoy your trip.

LA to State College via Memphis is 2740 miles and is a 5 day drive. If you don't waste time, you can make it to Memphis for the 3rd night, it's 1800 miles from LA. Your first 2 overnights should be Gallup NM and Clinton OK. ABQ and OKC is pushing it just a bit too much, and hotels are cheaper in the smaller towns.

You would have about 3 hours to play with the next day. You need to make it to Louisville KY for your last overnight. You could spend that time in Memphis and/or in Nashville. For great BBQ, I can highly recommend Jack's on Broadway in downtown Nashville. It's a hole in the wall.

Out of Nashville, take I-65/I-71/I-76/I-80.

On your way by Amarillo, you can get a great steak dinner at the Big Texan.

Default Treat It as Work

By the most efficient route, Orange County to State College is just over 2,500 miles or 500+ miles a day over 5 solid days of work. This is not a drive and time scale that leaves a lot of time for sight seeing, although as Michael points out, you should take time every few hours for physical exercise and mental breaks in order to maintain your alertness and stamina to complete the drive. The most efficient route is I-15 to central Utah and then I-70 to Denver, I-76 into Nebraska and I-80 the rest of the way. Evenly spaced overnight stops (in towns with motels) would be Beaver,UT; Denver, CO; Omaha, NE; and South Bend, IN.

AZBuck
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-14-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixed a couple highway numbers

Completely agree, Buck - but I believe the original poster wants to see Memphis. This does add about 250 miles and 4 hours or so to the trip. Still doable in 5 days, weather permitting, and will require 3 long (but not excessive) days at the start of the trip.

8. Default

I'm flexible on memphis. It is not a requirement...I just thought it would be a cool place to stop. I felt I was forced into the I-40 route because of the time of year. However, it seems weather will be alright, so far.

Coworkers of mine are saying Albuquerque should be no problem. I also had a pipe dream of making it to Amarillo. I am young and enjoy driving and thought that would be an advantage. I am also not hauling anything.

I'll put it real blunt: Your co-workers are wrong. 775 miles is simply too far to drive on a multi-day trip, your age and not hauling anything really are irrelevant to the discussion.

That's going to require at minimum of 14 hours on the road (if you only make short essential stops for gas, restrooms, etc), and will leave you in no condition to do another day of long haul driving. If Albuquerque were your final destination, it might be another story (although even there we wouldn't recommend doing it in one day), but you're engaging in a marathon, not a sprint, and you'll be wearing yourself out when you've still got 4 long days of driving in front of you.

To put it in perspective, Professional drivers are only allowed to travel about 600 miles a day, because when you start pushing beyond that you start pushing the limits of safety. This does not change because you are young, and in fact the idea that being young would allow you to be immune to the dangers of driving such distance is one of the big reasons that Drivers under age 25 are the most likely to fall asleep behind the wheel.

with 5 days available, you have no need to endanger yourself and others by driving irresponsible distances of 750+ miles in a day. As others have mentioned, treat this trip like the work it is, and you'll have both a more safe and more enjoyable time.

I know that the I40 is the way to go. Simply answer these two question, do you have all weather tyres on your vehicle? and do you have chains on board? These are requirements in CO at this time of year you don't want to be messing with the rockies.