Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default LA - SFO - Vegas - San Diego - LA with all the goodies in between...

Firstly, I have just stumbled on this gem of a site and have promptly added it to my favourites.

Being a veteran 'roadtripper', I wish I had access to this valuable resource 30 years ago. Although taking away some of the excitement of discovery, having access to this wealth of information may have led to more rooms with a king bed rather than 2 singles!

So, navigation and driver angst aside, my wife and 10 yr old daughter have proposed the following itinerary. We will be flying into LA from the west coast of Australia with a short hiatus in Auckland to break up the trip.

The itinerary:
    11-Dec LA: Pick up Chrysler 300, drive to Pismo Beach
    13-Dec: Drive to San Francisco
    17-Dec: Drive to Yosemite
    20-Dec: Drive to Lake Tahoe
    22-Dec: Drive to Mammoth Lakes
    26-Dec: Drive to Sequoia Forest
    28-Dec: Drive to Death Valley
    30-Dec: Drive to Las Vegas
    06-Jan: Drive to Twenty Nine Palms
    07-Jan: Drive to San Diego
    10-Jan: Drive to Anaheim
    16-Jan: Begrudgingly fly home

So, being the kinda guy that will 'kick himself until he can no longer walk' if I miss anything interesting along the way, I could really do with some help choosing routes. We love the outdoors: scenery, nature, leisurely hikes and good simple American diner food. Our daughter has just graduated to DSLR photography from the compact digital she has been using since she was 3 and is currently revelling in panoramic shots. This itinerary looks like it will take in some fantastic photo ops.

Just a little background: We have previously roadtripped LA-FLA and took in Vegas and the Grand Canyon along the way.

Look forward to your responses, if you need any further info please ask.

...Mickus

Welcome!

I see one big problem. To get from Mammoth to Sequoia, you have to go back across the Sierras, which will require returning to Tahoe or going all the way around via Bakersfield. There will be no passes open between CA-178 and CA-88. Your order should be SF - Sequoia - Yosemite - Tahoe - Mammoth - Death Valley.

With that said, tire chains are required to enter Yosemite in the winter, you may not have to put them on, but possession is required. They may be needed anywhere around there - Sequoia, Yosemite, Tahoe, and Mammoth. It's also possible for other roads in that area to close temporarily due to snow.

Default Relaxed itinerary.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums ! [Gald you are enjoying them]

Other than juggling your visit to Sequoia that is accessible from the West of the Sierra's, your trip looks well laid out and set at a relaxed pace. I would consider spending a night on route to San Fran and enjoy the coastal highway around Big Sur and give yourself time to enjoy it, perhaps stay around Monterey. This I would recommend but, if you were not planning on taking the coast road, you could consider heading from Pismo beach to Sequoia to Yosemite to San Fran and then to Tahoe to save a few miles of back tracking.

4. Default Sore Thumb...

Thanks glc and Southwest Dave for your prompt responses.

You are both right about Sequoia. Sticks out like a sore thumb doesn't it. My wife has arranged to meet some friends there for the day, should have mentioned it in the op. I gather that it will take about 6 hours to drive from Mammoth Lakes to Visalia.

I would ideally like to replace Visalia with a 2 night stay somewhere in between Mammoth and Death Valley, say 4 hoursish from each(?) I'm sure I could convince her to cancel the Visalia stay :-)
    Any suggestions?

glc, I booked tire chains with the car rental. Extra $35. Last time I had to use chains was in the Atlas Mountains and only 2 of them fit! I'll be sure to check them when I pick up the rental.

...Mickus

It's more like 8 hours from Mammoth to Visalia, because you have to go via Bakersfield or Tahoe. 120, 108, and 4 will all be closed, as will 89 between 395 and 88.

Mammoth to Death Valley is only about 3.5 hours.

6. Default Revised Itinerary 1.1

I have amputated that sore thumb. My wife has organised to meet friends in Visalia on the 15th so the itinerary has been amended to reflect. There is still a bit of a zigzag but I can comfortably live with this.

Revision 1.1:
    11-Dec LA: Pick up Chrysler 300, drive to Pismo Beach
    12-Dec: Drive to San Francisco
    15-Dec: Drive to Sequoia Forest
    17-Dec: Drive to Yosemite
    20-Dec: Drive to Lake Tahoe
    22-Dec: Drive to Mammoth Lakes
    26-Dec: Drive to Death Valley
    28-Dec: Drive to Las Vegas
    04-Jan: Drive to Twenty Nine Palms
    05-Jan: Drive to San Diego
    10-Jan: Drive to Anaheim
    16-Jan: Begrudgingly fly home

So, any scenic route and stops between destination suggestions are most welcome.
    Thanks in advance...
    ...Mickus

Default A few bit's.

With the road closures already mentioned by glc, a lot of your route will be quite direct, but you will still get your fair share of scenery. Other than the coast Rd I mentioned earlier, stopping at some of the old gold rush towns on 49, such as Jamestown, home to "Railtown" and Placerville, Formerly known as "Hangtown." On the way to Mammoth, just by Mono lake on the junction of 395 and 120 is a Gas station. Up the side of the hill past the gas station is a car park with some nice views of the lake, inside the station is a great little "American diner" called "Whoah Nellies Deli", Yummy !!
    You won't be short of things to do in Death valley NP where you can visit Badwater, the lowest point in the USA. That very morning you will be passing the highest in lower 48 states near to Lone Pine, Mt Whitney.

When in Vegas you could take a few day trip's to the surrounding area, and when leaving you could head through the Mojave preserve, and of course from Twenty nine palms you have Joshua tree NP. On the way to SD you could drive down the Salton sea and through the Anza Borrego desert state park.

That's not much of a zigzag now. Looks good.

What you will need to do is keep abreast of road conditions on the Caltrans website. All road closures and chain restrictions will be listed there. If it's open and doesn't require chains, you may want to take CA-88 across the Sierras to Tahoe. It's a very pretty drive and is a lot less traveled than US-50 or I-80.

9. Default Getting a clearer perspective...

Thanks again glc and Southwest Dave, I reckon I owe you guys a beer!

SW Dave: I now have Jamestown as a stop and if the CA-88 is closed we will definately check out Placetown. I looked up the website for Whoa Nellies and I started salivating. Looks like a great place to stop and absorb the calories, views and character. You are right about DVNP, I think we need a week there! I have added your south of 29 Palms route suggestion, any further suggestions and tweaks would be greatly appreciated. (Another beer?)

glc: The Caltrans site is GOLD! Thanks, didn't know about that one. Have added CA-88 to the route, weather permitting. Again, any tweaks and/or suggestions warmly welcomed. (Might have to buy a 6 pack!)

Revision 1.2

11-Dec LA: Drive to Pismo Beach
    12-Dec: Drive to San Francisco, take coast road
    15-Dec: Drive to Sequoia Forest, I-580/I-5/CA-198
    17-Dec: Drive to Yosemite, CA-198/CA-99/CA-41
    20-Dec: Drive to Lake Tahoe, CA-49/CA-88/CA-99
    22-Dec: Drive to Mammoth Lakes, US-395/CA-203
    26-Dec: Drive to Death Valley, US-395/CA-136/CA-190
    28-Dec: Drive to Las Vegas, CA-190/NV-373/US-95
    04-Jan: Drive to Twenty Nine Palms, US-95/I-40/National Trails HWY/Amboy
    05-Jan: Drive to San Diego, Thru JTNP/Box Canyon Rd/CA-86/CR-S22/CA-79/I-8
    10-Jan: Drive to Anaheim, Coast and I-5
    16-Jan: Begrudgingly fly home, Big Bird in Sky!

...Mickus

You could drive the Generals Highway through Sequoia and into Kings Canyon, weather permitting. This will take you out on CA-180 to Fresno where you can pick up CA-41 directly.

A tip: To get from DV to LV, go out the east entrance on CA-190 to Death Valley Junction. At CA-127, turn right then an immediate left (300 yards) onto Stateline Road. This will take you into Pahrump, where you will take NV-160 to LV.

Another suggestion: Take I-15 out of LV into CA, and get off at Cima Rd, take that south into the Mojave National Preserve. At the end, turn right on Kelso Rd and take that into Kelso. Turn left on Kelbaker Rd and head out of the preserve and under I-40. This will put you on National Trails Hwy a few miles east of Amboy. Leave LV with a full tank of gas, it's expensive out in the desert.