1. Default 7 Day Road Trip - Beginning in Portland Oregon

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope you can help me. We are planning a road trip when we visit family in Portland OR next May. There would be 6 of us in total (my husband and I, my sister and brother-in-law plus their 2 teenage boys 12,14). We were thinking about including Yellowstone NP and Glacier NP but have some questions. Do you think this is doable in 7 days without spending the whole time driving? Can you recommend places to stop off and visit/stay? Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Possible.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

A round trip including Yellowstone and Glacier NP's will be nearing a 2000 mile round trip and would equate to around 4 full day's of driving, so Yes it's possible, if you are OK with a couple of day's in Yellowstone and a day at Glacier with a little time to stop along the way.

If you took a Southerly route out and stopped between Boise and Twin Falls area, you could continue to Yellowstone next day, possibly through Jackson and the Grand Tetons. Continuing to Glacier you could stop one night either side of the park and enjoy a full day there and then make your way back to Portland. As long as the group is in agreement, it should turn out to be an amazing trip to these two natural wonders.

Welcome!

Portland to Yellowstone to Glacier and back is very doable in 7 days. Portland to Yellowstone is a day and a half on the road, Yellowstone to Glacier is a day, and Glacier to Portland is a LONG day. This only takes up half the 7 days.

However - not everything is going to be open in May! Some of the roads and facilities will be open in Yellowstone, but the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier will not be. You may want to look at spending your week in a different direction.

4. Default

Thank you very much for your advice, especially about the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier - this is definitley somewhere we would like to include so maybe we should delay it until June before doing?

Default 'Target' date is June 17th

In early June, Yellowstone is 'open' for summer activities and the park is on the way to being fully operational. The 'Going to the sun Rd ' is usually open for travel along it's entire lenght from mid June, the "target date" for 2011 is June 17th but it is subject to weather conditions/plowing progress.

The GTSR is also in the midst of a multi-year rebuilding process, and this is shortening the season too. The later you can delay the trip, the more likely everything will be open. The Beartooth Highway from the northeast gate of Yellowstone to I-90 doesn't open till at least Memorial Day weekend.

A rough ballpark - with 7 days, you would be able to spend at least 1 full day in Yellowstone and 1 full day in Glacier. It's 1.5 days from Portland to Yellowstone, 1.5 days from Yellowstone to Glacier via the Beartooth, and 1 very long day from Glacier back to Portland.