1. Default Suggestion for a 2 week Roadtrip?

Hi there.

Myself and a friend are looking to do a short roadtrip of the US (around the 2 weeks mark) and are looking for suggested routes. Ideally we want to see a major site or two (examples being the Grand Canyon or some such) but also try and keep off the beaten trail. We are looking for the sort of experiance where the locals dont see a couple of English guys every other day.

Any ideas and tips for keeping costs down would be amazing.

South of England.

Default Research needed.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Sorry, but a "short 2 week trip" in the US, with no start or finish point is just to open to make any meaningful suggestions at this point. We can certainly help to piece your trip together once you have worked out the basics, but for now I would take a look around the RTA site and study a good map of the USA to do some of your own research. The US is huge and your question is on par with "can you give me a good route in Europe"? It's just too far reaching to begin to answer. You mention the Grand canyon and as a Brit, I find the Southwest quite amazing, so that area might be a good place to start.

You will also find lot's of budgeting tips here, but a good place to start will be comparing flight and car rental costs into different locations, they can vary by quite a bit and could save you a few hundred quid from the off. Doing a loop trip, by starting and finishing in the same City will avoid one way drop off fee's and might get you a better flight deal. If you are under 25 years of age you will be facing some pretty significant 'young driver' fee's on top of the rental costs. Almost all rental Co's require you to be over 21 years old.

Once you get going and questions come up, just ask. Until then, enjoy the planning