Default early Dec from Central TX to Nashville, TN

Hello RTA! My fiancée and I will be driving to Nashville and were wondering if you had any suggestions about good places to eat, or cool things to see along the way.

We will leave the morning of December 4 and we don't have to be in Nashville until Monday December 6. We are in Nashville for the week and will come back on the 10th. (But we have to drive straight back TX... we won't get to take our time on the way back :-( )

Also, we plan to get married somewhere along the way... :-D So if you know of any quaint B&B's or scenic places where we could tie the knot (preferably somewhere in TN) we would love to hear from you!

Thank you,
    Cori and Aaron

Default Some Things Take Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

"Central Texas" to Nashville is a solid two day drive, something I don't think you're taking into account when you say that "don't have to be in Nashville" until the night after the day you leave (and plan to get married along the way!) and then drive straight back to Texas, presumably in one day. Simply put, this would not only be a terribly punishing way to start a life together, but may end up being a way to make that life very short. You are simply going to have to find more time for the driving portion of this adventure if you want it to be a fond memory rather than a nightmare.

AZBuck

hmmm... maybe i've mis-calculated but google maps says that it takes 12.5 hours, and according to a different post, it said you should add 20% to that to get a more accurate drive time. If we travel for 15 hours on Saturday and then again on Sunday, that gives us 30 hours of travel time... which sounds like plenty of time to take some of the minor highways and do some sight seeing... not to mention the several hours on monday before we check in at the Sheraton Music City Hotel Monday evening... we will not return to TX until Friday, the 10th... which we will have to drive straight back and take turns behind the wheel... (but those reasons are worth that quick trip back)

So is the trip there really going to be that bad???

(but those reasons are worth that quick trip back)
    Risking your life and the lives of countless people with whom you will be sharing the road with is "worth it?" Please go back an look at the link Buck provided which explains exactly why we cringe when we read things like that.

Your problem is that you are making it sound like you can drive 15 hours a day back to back days - which you simply can't safely do - much less do it an have any fun. Even a single day on the road for 15 hours with 2 drivers is a brutal day on the road that really does start to push the limits of safety which is why your plan to drive back home in one single day is very worrisome.

As Buck mentioned "central texas" can mean a lot of different things and change the calculations by several hundred miles depending upon the specifics. But if Google thinks it will take 12.5 hours, and you add 20%, you're looking at a 15 hour day. Even over 2 days, that's a day and a half of hard driving. That leaves a little time to explore - but if you start taking a detour that's much beyond the most direct interstate route, even there you will be really watching your available time disappear.

So will this trip really be that bad? That's largely up to you - but based on your two posts, I'd say you are seriously underestimating just how much work is involved in a drive of this length, and seriously overestimating how far you can travel while having a good time.

Default Take a break on the way home.

Ok, as I read it you have 3 day's to get to your destination, which will allow time to do some exploring on the way [and even get married ;-) ] but for your trip home I would leave around lunchtime [or just after] on your last day in Nashville and make an overnight stop on the way home, just to keep things safe and make it an enjoyable end to the 'honeymoon'.

Remember that 15 hours on the road will be closer to an 18 hour day by the time you have got showered and had breakfast and have had an evening meal and taken time to unwind.

Keep it safe !

Let's put this in a mileage context. It is not recommended that you drive more than 600 miles a day - period. Can you work with that?

Default My Bad

Ah, yes. Thanks, Dave. She is planning three days to get to Nashville and your suggestion of leaving a half day early would be a viable solution for the drive home. In that case, and depending on exactly where 'central Texas' is, some options for the drive east would include heading a bit north of a direct route and spending a night on one of Oklahoma's resort parks such as Beavers Bend State Park, taking a relaxing drive on the Talimena Scenic Byway, digging for a possible stone in Crater of Diamonds State Park, taking the waters in Hot Springs National Park, spending an evening on Beale St. in Memphis, enjoying the scenery and history of Shiloh National Military Park, and finishing up with a great drive into Nashville - the Natchez Trace Parkway.

AZBuck

ouch! some of you guys are a little brutal... but I appreciate your honesty. "central TX" is Waco (keep all your dividian jokes to yourself please...) Google says that it is 757 miles, so I see no need in driving 600 miles per day to get there.
    As for the way back, to AZBuck and Midwest Mike, of course we would NOT risk our lives and the lives of others! We are not young and stupid... we will stop and rest, take breaks, etc... Dave: we do plan to leave around 10 a.m. to come back, and thank you for a positive post :-)

Thank you AZBuck for the suggestions, I'll look them up right away...

Cori

Default On the same page ?

Dave: we do plan to leave around 10 a.m. to come back,
    I think you may have misunderstood me [?] I was suggesting you leave a day earlier and make an overnight stop on the way back, even if it was well after lunch, and you got a few hours of driving under you belt and finished your journey off next day, is that what you mean when you say "leaving at 10am" ?

If you are leaving at 10am and planning on driving straight through, you won't be home untill the small hours of the following day. No one is being "brutal," Yes they are harsh facts, but they come with good intention, experience, and are backed up by statistics.

Have a safe journey !

Its actually not young and stupid that concern us as much as young and arrogant. Your statements that "the reasons are worth it" and "I see no need in driving 600 miles per day" raise serious questions about how seriously you are taking the fact that 750+ miles is a very very long day on the road that can very easily lead to a fatal crash if you don't approach it as a serious amount of work. That is significantly more than a professional driver is allowed to do, and those kinds of statements are exactly why in the link posted to above I highlighted the fact that young drivers like yourself are the most likely to fall asleep behind the wheel.

I also think you misread Dave's suggestion that you leave Nashville afternoon and stop enroute to break up this very long day into a very managable day and a half. If you aren't leaving until 10am when you come back, that means you won't be getting back home until at least 1 or 2am the following morning at the very earliest - and the combination of an exhausting day on the road and then doing your driving at a time when your body is expecting to be sleeping is every much as dangerous of a combination as driving drunk. (again from above, the risk of crashing from fatigue in late night driving increases 5 fold!) If you are going to try to do this drive in one day, then I'd recommend leaving much much earlier, maximizing your daylight and a limiting your overnight driving.

Sorry for not being as positive as you'd like but the first priority of your planning should be safety - even if that means making some changes from your original plans.