Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Denver to Grand Canyon North Rim

Advice please - I haven't got a clue! Couldit be done in two days?
    Thanks
    M

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Denver to the North Rim is about 700 miles, so yes, it could easily be done as a one way trip in 2 days. Of course, there are about a dozen other national parks between those two points, so you could just as easily spend 2 weeks on this trip if you wanted to.

Otherwise, you really haven't given us any clues as to what you might be looking for, but we'll be glad to try to answer any other questions you might have.

3. Default

Right - If you were doing that trip 1)which direct way would you go to see some good stuff on the way 2) Where would you have a night's stopover on the way 3)Where would you base yourself to visit the north rim?
    Don't have oodles of cash and will have a 16 year old Daughter in tow who likes shopping malls more than mountains. I'm v-v of course!
    Thanks somuch
    M

Default Malls and mountains !

The direct route would be along I 70, and although an Interstate it is regarded by many as the most scenic !

If you have 2 day's just to get there and then time to visit the GC after that, [you're not giving away much ;-) ] you could choose a half way point, which fortunately puts in Moab UT for an overnight. A nice bustley town and Arches NP, I will let you and your daughter decide where to spend your time. You could travel further if you just want to put your heads down for the night and get to GC earlier, it's all to do with how your trip pieces itself together.

From I 70 you could take a short detour and drive over the very scenic Loveland pass or visit Colorado NM near Fruita. If you stopped at Moab you could possibly head through Monument valley and to Page AZ for the North rim. You really need to look at a map, do a little of your own research and decide with your daughter.

The North rim has lodgings inside the park and nearby is Jacobs lake and Kaibab lodge, but they might not suit your budget. Kanab and Page are other options, or have you considered camping ?

Your daughter isn't going to find any shopping malls at the North rim, so I would check that this is what she wants to do, and that she isn't going to end up resenting being "dragged along" on a trip that equals long hours in a car and mountains, Good luck with that !! Lol.

Look at alternative routes/sights for the trip home [?]

Default an interesting choice

If you're hoping to find shopping malls, then I really can't think of a much worse place to look than the beautiful, but very sparcely populated areas of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. You might be able to find some interesting stores selling handmade native crafts and that sort of thing, but this area certainly isn't going to be a prime shopping area.

In fact, I'd be questioning your choice of the north rim at all - as it is far more rural and remote than the South Rim - which will have more shopping and services.

Otherwise, its difficult to narrow down the many choices you've got when we know so little else about your trip.

As I mentioned, there are a good dozen other national parks you could work into your trip, depending upon what you are interested in, how much time you have for your overall trip, and what you plan to do after the Canyon. Dave gave you some good options, but those are really the tip of the iceburg. You could also go farther west into Utah towards Bryce or Zion NP, you could also go south sooner, going down the Million Dollar Highway towards Durango and Mesa Verde, or start by going south and drive across southern Colorado past places like the Great Sand Dunes.

If your daughter needs a mall fix, you could take a swing through Grand Junction. That's the largest city between Denver and the GC, either rim. If you go through Durango instead, they also have a mall.

7. Default

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply!
    Here's the full story...
    We live in England and before we had the kids (17 years ago) my wife and I did flight to LAX then San Diego, Phoenix to Flagstaff (for South Rin GC) then Las Vegas, Death Valley, Mammoth Mt, Yosemite, San Fran, coast road back to LA.
    My wife wants to do a family holiday before my 16 year old daughter disowns us and the only way that is gonna happen is if USA is on the agenda. Flights London to LA were approx £750 a piece so when Denver came up at £480 I jumped (we still have a recession here too). I've booked a car which I pick up in Denver and drop off in San Fran (Oakland actually) 16 days later and then fly back to Denver. So I've got about 14 nights take care of, but want to be able to stay a few places for more than one night. I know nothing about Colorado but it seems a shame to rush thru without at least having a taster of what it is like. From GC we're doing Vegas then LA then upthe coast to Oakland.
    So what do you think? Arrive Denver from London late afternoon and get car. Tired so drive to local hotel then next day on the I70 for next night stop at Moab.Then via Monument Valley to hotel at Page. Visit North Rim next day. How far/long from Page to North Rim? Back to Page, thence to Vegas. What do you think?
    Thanks guys
    MD

Page to the North Rim can be done in less than 3 hours.

Instead of going back to Page, why not go to Zion and maybe Bryce Canyon on the way to LV? It's actually 4 hours shorter to go from the north rim to LV through Zion than it is to go back through Page and down to I-40.

Default Time to explore.

I agree, after North rim a visit to Zion would be well worth it, Springdale being a great little town to stay on it's doorstep [not for Mall's mind]. You could drive the complete route in 3 long day's, so having 14/16 available, you can break it up nicely, and be able to spend more than a night at certain places.

I would still encourage you to look around the forums and work out how and where you want to spend your time. Starting out from Denver it would be a shame not to spend at least a little time in Rocky mountain NP and drive Trail ridge Rd [highest continuous highway in the US] before heading into Utah. To take just 2 day's to get from Denver to GC will be rushing through some great places and great scenery. It is of course your choice, but I think it would be worth considering a bit more time to this part of the journey.

10. Default

Sorry to be a pain but how about this - take the I70 west fron Denver and have night stop at Moab or somewhere nearby. Continue on I70 and then take the 89 South at around Sevier. Visit Bryce on the way to Kanab for overnight stop. Is Kanab nice? The GC North Rim, before heading to LV via Zion. Would we see some nice stuff?
    Thanks Lads
    BTW - was going to do Trail Ridge Rd when we fly back up to Denver at the end of our stay.