Green County, Wisconsin

Default Drowsy Driving Kills

The subject of drowsy driving frequently comes on on this forum - especially with people who think they can drive 700, 800, even 1,000 miles day after day with no ill effects - and we frequently remind people of just how dangerous this sort of thing can be.

Today, yet another study on the subject came out showing that 17% of all Fatal Crashes involve a drowsy driver. Additionally, the AAA study found that 40% admitted to falling asleep behind the wheel at some point, and 27% drove when they were so tired they had trouble keeping their eyes open.

Some more stats go even farther to the specific points that frequently come up on this forum:

"I'm young and full of energy so I won't fall asleep" - 16-24 year old are the most likely to fall asleep behind the wheel.

"I'll know when I need to stop." - 71% of those who fell asleep behind the wheel reported feeling awake enough to drive.

"I can drive at night without problems" - 24% of all fatal crashes between midnight and 6am involve a drowsy driver, and Late Night/early morning crashes were Five times more likely to involve a drowsy driver.

Add that with other stats about the Frightening Numbers about how many people are killed by drowsy drivers, and you see why this is a serious issue on this forum.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-11-2010 at 10:47 AM.