Default Chicago to Niagara in winter

Hi guys---my parents are visiting chicago in december(during christimas)..i am planning on a 9-day roadtrip ..i dont know if there is anything spectacular close to chicago..i was wondering if i could take them to niagara falls. but i am worried about the weather..what do you guys think? how should i plan the trip from chicago to Niagara falls (round trip). how are the roads on this route? are they pretty much closed?

any tips would be appreciated. thanks

Welcome!

The roads are very seldom closed, but you are going to have to check conditions just in case. There are essentially 2 ways of doing it - I-90 all the way or 401 from Detroit through Canada. If you go through Canada, you will all need passports.

thanks...we would not take the canada route..i will be going from within US..any specific routes to avoid during christmas due to snow? in other words, any route preferences? i am from california, and never drove in snow before..any advice?

Default I-90

The direct route is basically I-90 the whole way - and since that's the interstate route, you're not going to find a better option weather wise.

Even if you don't travel through Canada, you'd still need passports if you want to view the Falls from the Canadian side.

I-90 is subject to lake effect snow in the winter, especially between Cleveland and Buffalo. You will have to keep track of conditions. If you have never driven in snow before, you may want to have alternate plans.

if this is a difficult trip , then, are there any other places in/around chicago for a 9 day roadtrip? Thanks

Default sure

Of course there are other places you can go - however, the fact is that there's really no roadtrip you can take from Chicago that doesn't have the risk of winter weather in late december.

You could look at heading south to places like St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville, etc.
    You could look at heading west to the Black Hills.
    You could look at something else completely.

However, Chicago sees a fair amount of winter weather, and every route you'd look at could very well see that same kind of weather.

You might want to look at a few different options, and make your choice based on a specific forecast - just make sure you're also leaving yourself some extra time to get back.