1. Default Driving From Kansas City, MO to Long Beach, Ca - Christmas Cruisin!

Hi,

Hubby and I travel back and forth from midwest to CA every year, but this is the first we've gone in the middle of December. Anyone with info on weather conditions during the 2nd week of December? Where's the snow likely to come in and at what point do we have to consider avoiding or driving further down to take another route?

We're not too concerned about driving back from L.A.. We just want to make sure we get there on time.

Anyone ever drive this route this time of year? Anyone planning on it?

Johanna

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The simple reality is that there simply is no way of knowing what the weather will be until you can get an accurate weather report - that that won't be until just before you leave.

Every single cross country route can and does see snow and/or ice during the winter, so trying to generically go south is really just a fool errand. The best bet is nearly always to take the shortest route: The shorter the distance, the less time you are on the road, and thus the less likelyhood of seeing bad weather. Also, going south often means less snow, but more ice and less experienced winter plow crews.

In your case going via I-70 or going down to I-40 are both pretty similar in distance. I'd simply be watching the forecasts and pick your route based on which of those looks to be the best during your time of travel.

I do this every year myself - from Joplin to San Diego. I take a different route each year just for a change of pace and there's really nothing to recommend one route over another - unless there's some localized storms. I've had to deal with ice storms on I-40 in OK and TX, otherwise I've been pretty lucky. Allow yourself an extra day (4 days) and check weather and road conditions just prior to leaving.

4. Default

Thanks for the info! This really helps alot. We can't allow ourselves an extra four days, because hubby's vacation begins on the 17th. We're leaving on the 16th to get to LA by Saturday night, which is easy to do in June! LOL

I may have to suggest we hop a train for this vacation. I want to make sure we get to the ship on time!.

Cruisin (Johanna)
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I do this every year myself - from Joplin to San Diego. I take a different route each year just for a change of pace and there's really nothing to recommend one route over another - unless there's some localized storms. I've had to deal with ice storms on I-40 in OK and TX, otherwise I've been pretty lucky. Allow yourself an extra day (4 days) and check weather and road conditions just prior to leaving.

Default don't drive

If you can't leave until Thursday evening, and you have to be there Saturday night/Sunday morning, I would strongly recommend you fly or take a train.

By driving, You're already at the limits of safety doing the trip in 2.5 days, and you'll be backing yourself into a corner where you're almost certainly going to be taking unwise risks where you'll be ignoring/justifying the dangers because of your deadline. Its not worth it.

The train leaves KC at 10:45 pm on Thursday and gets into LA at 8:15 am Saturday. Booking now, the fare is $140 each before any discounts.