1. Default Girls' Roadtrip from Los Angeles>Vegas>Grand Canyon and back.

Hi all. My mom, sister, and I want to do a mini roadtrip between the three of us during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend so we thought of going to Vegas and Grand Canyon from Los Angeles. I was wondering if some of you could please recommend a good route for us to take? Something scenic and interesting perhaps? Also maybe some places to stop by on the way? I heard that Route 66 is a must but we don't want to go too far off course or anything like that. Neither of us have ever been to the Grand Canyon and we thought that it would be an interesting thing to see so any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Welcome!

What day and time would you be leaving, and what day and time do you want to get back home?

Default Foregoing the Sales

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Fitting an 1100 mile RoadTrip in "during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend" is going to be a good trick. You will have to at least forego Black Friday and make it three days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and even then you'll only have a day's worth of time to split between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, and not nearly enough time to take anything but the most direct routes: I-15 to Las Vegas, US-93/I-40/AZ-64 to the Canyon, and AZ-64/I-40/I-15 back to L.A. If you are also willing to forego having a family Thanksgiving dinner, then you can start to explore some other options.

AZBuck

4. Default

We will be leaving Thursday morning and hoping to come back by Sunday evening. There will be no family Thanksgiving dinner for this threesome :) We want to go on our last adventure before my mother joins our dad in retirement. She will be moving out of the country for good so we thought about making the Grand Canyon her last vacation. We also just wanted to stop by Vegas for one night to see a show. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

The order in which you take the trip and the route should probably be dictated by what day/night you want to be in Las Vegas, which would also be dictated by what tickets are available for what shows when, and affordable room availability. Holiday weekends may be rough.

You would ideally be looking at either Thursday or Saturday night in LV, being that it's a 4 to 5 hour drive from LA unless the traffic is heavy. You will have plenty of time to go to the GC and see some of historic Route 66. Decide which night you will be in LV and we can help you fill in the rest of the blanks.

6. Default

Thanks for the help! I'm glad i signed up :)

Anyway, we wanted to leave LA Thursday morning and just spend one night in Las Vegas. We'd like to spend most of our time on the road or sightseeing at the Grand Canyon because we've all been to Vegas a few times before and none of us have ever been to the Grand Canyon. So we will leave vegas by noon on Friday and then be on our way to the Grand Canyon.

I'd recommend you leave LV earlier than noon so you can get to the GC by dark. Even with the opening of the new Hoover Dam bypass bridge, it's a 5 hour drive. If you want to take old 66 from Kingman to Seligman (recommended), add an hour to that. You could spend Friday night in Williams, that would cut about an hour off. Williams has the most affordable hotels - the ones in Tusayan just outside the park are $100+.

Now, by fastest route it's about 9 hours from the GC to LA with no traffic, so you might want to get a head start on Saturday afternoon. You could stay in Kingman if you take I-40 back. Traffic getting back into LA on Sunday is going to be bad. This would also give you a bit of time to go over Sitgreaves Pass through Oatman on the way home. That's another stretch of old 66. GC to Kingman is just over 3 hours.

EDIT:

If you are looking for something to do/see on the way to LV, you could go through Joshua Tree and/or the Mojave Preserve. Another possibility, but it will make for a long day, would be Death Valley.
    Last edited by glc; 11-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.