Default NY-LA Southern Road Trip May-June-ish 2011, Buddies Wanted!

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a few people together for the above dates to rent a car and see where we end up :)
    East to West, or West to East I don't really mind, I'm from the UK so which ever flights are cheaper around that date! I'm interested in some of the main sites along the way: NY & LA of course, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon etc etc but am open to ideas and exploring
    The route I'm planning to take looks vaguely similar to the one here:
    http://www.trekamerica.co.uk/tours/tns.html
    Although I'd preferably take in a bit more of the South West. It's all up for negotiation so get in touch and see what we can come up with!

Tom

2. Default

Hi Tom

Your itinerary looks great - I've just booked some rtw tickets for Jan-May 2011. I'll be arriving into LA on 10th April and flying back to London from Washington DC on 25th May. Now I have a few contacts I can stay with, in the LA area and in the North East (Pennsylvania, Washington DC). My ideal situation would be to spend a week or so in LA then hook up with someone who has a car so as to see more of California before heading East! I also know people in New Orleans and Alabama so would love to spend some time there before heading north.
    I can drive but annoyingly am 24 so most rental companies seem to hit you with extra charges for that:-( If I can't find anyone to travel with or if it just ends up being too expensive I may have to look into greyhound.
    Anyway keep me updated with your plans, that's as far as I've got so far and I have so much to organise for the rest of my trip that the last leg of it seems so far away!
    Hollie x

Quote Originally Posted by moosemoose View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a few people together for the above dates to rent a car and see where we end up :)
    East to West, or West to East I don't really mind, I'm from the UK so which ever flights are cheaper around that date! I'm interested in some of the main sites along the way: NY & LA of course, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon etc etc but am open to ideas and exploring
    The route I'm planning to take looks vaguely similar to the one here:
    http://www.trekamerica.co.uk/tours/tns.html
    Although I'd preferably take in a bit more of the South West. It's all up for negotiation so get in touch and see what we can come up with!

Tom

3. Default

Hi guys!

I am a 22 year old female and live around the Los Angeles region of California. I would totally be up to going on a trip with you guys, and I do have a car to use. Only thing is that I would not be able to go on this trip until early May and if anyone needed the use of my car temporarily, then it would probably have to begin in California. Keep me posted on your plans! Either way I would be totally willing to join in on this trip!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your message, glad to hear that my rough plans sound good to you. As I hope I've stressed in the original post, I'm more than happy to listen to suggestions and destinations, so suggest away!
    As for dates, my trip will have to start no earlier than the end of april/early may so that seems to fit with yours. But as for how long the trip will be, I'm not too sure. A month at least I think, what are your thoughts on length?

And obviously the use of a car rather than rental would be fantastic, of course I'd be more than willing to share the petrol and any wear and tear on the car.
    It wouldn't be a problem to start in California, we could even do a round trip!!

Let me know your thoughts on dates and places to visit,

Tom

5. Default

Hi there,

If we do a trip around the beginning of May or later then a month should be fine. I don't really want the trip to conflict with school or anything but I will easily have at least a month for a trip of that nature if started it around May. Okay, glad to know it wouldn't be too difficult to start in California or anything :) In terms of destinations, I really do not have too much of a preference. Like you mentioned earlier in your post, I would love to see more of the south west. You mentioned possibly doing a road trip, and going up to NY. If we were to come back around and see more of the northern region, Toronto, then seeing Yellowstone, Glacier National Park (there is a scenic byway), etc. would be interesting. Again, I am pretty open in terms of destinations. Either way I'll put more thought into this over the next couple of days and try and see if I can compile a list of interesting places along the southern region of the US.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Beginning of May/very late April sounds good to me. As I said, starting in Cali shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure plane tickets will be slightly more than NY (I'll check that now) but the lure of your car should make up for that!

Once you get back to me on the destinations it would be easier to figure out the length of the trip.
    The parks are also something I'd really love to see, I just wonder whether we'd have enough time to do it all in a month. I'll do some more research...

Meanwhile, instead of chatting on this forum, facebook might be easier. I've sent you an private message with my email address.

Tom

This sounds right up my street. Been looking for a while for buddies to go on the road with, so far nothing. I was in the States last year for 6 weeks, mainly in Vegas, then I embarked on a week long road trip starting from Vegas, into LA - Hollywood, Santa Cruz as far north as San Francisco then across over to Phoenix and back into Nevada - A great experience. However I've always wanted to step foot in New York. I'd love to do the East Coast/West Coast thing too. I do have a rough map on places I'd like to go, so if you're interested I'd be glad to share. There are also some places to stay along the way with such sites as couch surfing and WWoof. It would be great. Get back at me and hopefully we can start planning. BTW I'm female, 32 from Newcastle, UK.

L