1. Default Seattle to Miami via Grand Canyon

Hello everyone!

I'm planning this trip for the beginning of January, so I know the weather is not going to be my friend.
    I really want to see the Grand Canyon, that's my number one priority. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the best route with minimum mountain passes, I know snow and ice might be a problem too.
    I thought maybe heading to Salt Lake City through I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15 and then head south.
    I don't know much yet what to do after Grand Canyon, if I should take I-40 or I-10.
    Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, especially on driving conditions,best routes and suggested attractions.
    Thank You!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

The very first thing to consider is - how much time do you have for your trip? Will it even be possible to take the time to see the Grand Canyon in light of your desire to be in Miami? It is a solid 5 days drive going from coast to coast, so take that into consideration.

As for avoiding mountain passes - is it because you are concerned about weather, or is there another concern leading you to seek alternatives to the mountain passes? If it's just the weather, you're better off having a couple of routes as it is impossible to tell this far out what the weather on the days of your travel will actually be like.

Default Keep It Short and Simple

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Weather may not be your friend, but time (the more the better) and distance (the less the better) are. So what you want to do on the Seattle to Grand Canyon leg is minimize the number of miles you have to cover and maximize the amount of time you have to cover those miles in. And you want to stick to the Interstate System which are the highways with the most gradual grades and curves, and the ones kept open the longest and re-opened the soonest in the event of bad weather. That means taking the I-90/I-84/I-84/I-15 route you outlined at least as far as Beaver, UT. At that point you can either continue into Las Vegas if you are of a mind to, continuing to the Grand Canyon via US-93/I-40/AZ-64; or you can go directly to the Canyon via UT-20/US-89/AZ-64. In any case, what you really need to do is have an extra day or two at your disposal in the event of weather conditions bad enough to force you off the road for a while while the crews so their bit.

From the Canyon to Miami, the most efficient route would be I-40 to Memphis, US-78 to Birmingham, I-20 to Atlanta, and I-75/FL Turnpike to Miami.

AZBuck

Welcome!

I'd look at taking I-5 to Bakersfield, then CA-58 to I-40. The only potential problem would be the Siskiyous in southern OR. CA-58 takes the Tehachapi Pass east of Bakersfield, but it seldom snows there. You have a lot more potential for snow going inland over Snoqualmie Pass. You would also have to take several 2 lane roads or go way out of your way through LV. Check conditions and forecasts before you leave and make a decision from there. I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15/UT-20/US-89/AZ-64 is faster by about 2.5 hours than going through Bakersfield, but that can get eaten up by bad road conditions. Going through LV will essentially take as long as going via Bakersfield.

The fastest way from the GC to Miami is I-40 to Amarillo, US-287 to DFW, I-20 to Jackson, US-49/US-98 to Mobile, I-10 to I-75 to the Florida Turnpike. Taking I-17 to Phoenix then I-10 all the way adds about 3 hours.

5. Default

Thank You for the welcome, this site is amazing.
    I'm giving myself maximum 10 days to get there and yes, my only concern regarding the mountain passes is the weather.
    I would like to see some attractions but nothing that takes a big detour, I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, I had thought about Zion national park too.
    Thank You everyone for the prompt responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

The very first thing to consider is - how much time do you have for your trip? Will it even be possible to take the time to see the Grand Canyon in light of your desire to be in Miami? It is a solid 5 days drive going from coast to coast, so take that into consideration.

As for avoiding mountain passes - is it because you are concerned about weather, or is there another concern leading you to seek alternatives to the mountain passes? If it's just the weather, you're better off having a couple of routes as it is impossible to tell this far out what the weather on the days of your travel will actually be like.

I think you're on the right path then with a trip that takes you down through Utah, past Bryce and Zion, and into the Grand Canyon.

After that point, I think you'd need to start really focusing on making some miles. Foy mentioned that a coast to coast trip requires 5 days on the road - and he's right - but you're not just doing coast to coast, you're also doing border to border. Your trip is about 3700 miles as you've laid it out, which is a good 7 days on the road. If you spend 2 days on at those parks, and leave one day available for a weather delay, that's your 10. Certainly if you've seen good weather the whole way, you can start looking for a good detour in the Southeast, but I'd make sure you at least get beyond the southern plains before you can say you've got clear sailing ahead.

7. Default

Someone suggested instead of I-90/I-15, I should take I-84 E or take I-5 S/I-84 E.
    Anyone has any thoughts on this, I checked google maps and it showed those routes to be faster, now I do realize google doesn't take the weather in consideration.

8. Default

Thank You Midwest Mike for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I think you're on the right path then with a trip that takes you down through Utah, past Bryce and Zion, and into the Grand Canyon.

After that point, I think you'd need to start really focusing on making some miles. Foy mentioned that a coast to coast trip requires 5 days on the road - and he's right - but you're not just doing coast to coast, you're also doing border to border. Your trip is about 3700 miles as you've laid it out, which is a good 7 days on the road. If you spend 2 days on at those parks, and leave one day available for a weather delay, that's your 10. Certainly if you've seen good weather the whole way, you can start looking for a good detour in the Southeast, but I'd make sure you at least get beyond the southern plains before you can say you've got clear sailing ahead.

From Seattle, the fastest is I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15.

10. Default

Thank You everyone so far!

So far my trip is looking like this;

Seattle to Twin Falls,ID
    Twin Falls to Beaver,UT
    Beaver to Bryce Canyon(weather permitting)and Zion Canyon or just one of the two for saving time
    Page,AZ (Antelope Canyon tour)
    Grand Canyon,AZ
    I-40 to Albuquerque or take hwys 160/550 to Albuquerque so I can see Monument Valley (Is it worth it ?)
    Cadillac Ranch
    And then probably haul ass to Miami,FL.

Nothing is set in stone of course, if I have extra time I would like to see
    Monument Valley on Hwy 163
    Coral Pink sand dunes
    Meteor Crater
    Window Rock

I don't intend on driving more than 8-10 hours with maybe the exception on the first day.
    I really don't want to drive at night unless it's an emergency.
    Anybody has any other suggestions or advice.
    Anything I should really see in New Mexico,Lousiana and Texas?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by danibrasil; 10-29-2010 at 04:30 PM.