Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is this even possible - Thanksgiving trip - LA, LV,Page,GC,LV,Death Valley, LA

Fellow travellers,

Need your help and advise. I plan to do the following trip during the thanksgiving holidays. Want to know if this is feasible or not and also any guides & tips about the routes and budget hotels will be appreciated.
    Note: I will be travelling with my wife, but will be driving alone for the complete trip.

Wed Nov 24 - Start from Los Angeles to Vegas - Stay in Vegas
    Thu Nov 25 - Vegas to Grand Canyon via Page (antelope canyon)(any more spots on this drive which I can check) - Stay near grand canyon in flagstaff(budget hotels)
    Fri Nov 26 - Spend a day in Grand canyon - return back to flagstaff hotel
    Sat Nov 27 - Drive back to Vegas - Stay in Vegas
    Sun Nov 28 - Drive back to Los Angeles via Death Valley

Is this plan a good one?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your plan is certainly a good one, but I'd made a change or two to avoid doubling back on yourself.

I wouldn't visit the Las Veags twice - simply because it adds a couple extra hours of driving. I'd either start or end your trip by driving directly from LA to Flagstaff, and then visit Vegas and Death Valley going the other way.

I'd also say that seeing Antelope Canyon and the Grand Canyon and driving from Vegas to Page/Flagstaff is probably going to be too much for one day. Basically, I'd recommend just skipping the Grand Canyon on that day and just plan to spend a half day at Antelope and a half day driving to Vegas - you'll still have a full day to enjoy the Grand Canyon as part of your time staying in Flagstaff.

3. Default Updated itinerary

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the inputs. Here is my revised itinerary:
    Nov 24th Wed- LA to LV - reach evening, spend night in LV
    Nov 25th Thu - LV to Death Valley & back - spend night in LV
    Nov 26th Fri - LV to GC via (Zion Canyon, Page) - reach GC by night and stay near GC
    Nov 27th Sat - Whole day at GC - Stay at Flagstaff
    Nov 28th Sun - Flagstaff to LA

Need tips on:
    Places to see in Death valley (will be spending around 2hrs there)
    Places to see on the way from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon via Zion canyon & Page (Driving through so key places to check out)
    Can anyone just go and see antelope canyon( or are guided tours the only option)?

Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    PVR

If you will only be spending 2 hours at DV, why not go through there on the way to LV? I think you may find that trying to go from LV to the GC via Zion and Page is too much for one day.

Default agreed

I would agree it would make more sense to hit DV right on your way from LA to Vegas, and I also agree that you could be biting off a bit too much trying to get to the Grand Canyon via Zion in one day.

One other suggestion to consider, it might be easier to stay in Williams rather than Flagstaff, since its closer to the south rim and would make for a shorter drive home. There are still plenty of low cost lodging options there.

I believe you do need a guide to see Antelope Canyon.

Default How about....

turning the trip on it's head.

You could drive from LA to Williams in a long day[24th]. Next day spend in the canyon and leave by the East entrance and stop at/near Page [25th]. On the 26th, take an early Antelope canyon tour and head to Vegas, via a brief visit to Zion and arriving in Vegas at night. 27th, day and night in Vegas and 28th home via Death valley.

It get's a long drive out the way on day 1, and put's you in Page overnight, rather than Flagstaff/Williams, which should make Antelope canyon and Zion manageable.[just]

With Dave's suggestion, you could spend the night in St. George and head on into LV the next morning, it's only a couple of hours.

8. Default Thx

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
    My itinerary was based on starting on 24th afternoon as my holidays start on 25th. Also, preferred spending Wed/Thurs in LV as the hotel rates at much cheaper than on fri/sat nights.

Default In that case.

Fair enough but the fact remains, something has to give. If you are starting out in the afternoon you are also pushed to see Death valley on day 1. The options I can see are;
    1] Go direct to, and have 1 good night in Vegas, next day head to Death valley then make your way towards Zion, stopping at St George or Springdale. Continue to GC next day with a brief stop at Zion and a Antelope canyon tour, stop in Cameron[?] for the night.

2] Staying 2 nights in Vegas with a day trip to DV, get an early start and stop in Page for the night, with a brief look at Zion and an Antelope canyon tour [will have to check time of later tours/when they finish]. Continue to GC next day, which will mean less hours to appreciate the canyon.

3] 2 nights in Vegas plus DV, but choose between Zion and Antelope canyon, have a [slightly] more relaxed day [it's gonna be a little hectic anyway] and spend the night at Cameron trading post, it is located by the East entrance to the Grand canyon and will save you having to double back from Flagstaff. Spend your last night in Tusayan or Williams before heading home.

Do you live in LA?

If so, you might simply consider skipping Death Valley for this trip, and just head there for a weekend at a later date.