1. Default Please help out from NY to MAINE =] Mid-November

Hi everyone I'm from Queens, New York, I wanted to take a road trip with my boyfriend and maybe 2 more friends to Maine. We have never been to Maine before, I really wanted to go because I saw this special on FOOD network about Maine Lobster Roll and Fried Clams, and I just have to have some!!

I'm not sure how far we wanted to go, maybe Portland? I'm thinking a 2 day trip, and spend just 1 night there. Please give me any suggestions!!

I just want to eat LOTS OF LOBSTERS AND SEAFOOD!! Maybe visit some lighthouse? Not too into any sports so i'll skip any mountains.

THANKS!!!

Default distance

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't have any good first hand knowledge of the Maine food scene - although I suspect if you saw a tv show about it, they probably had some good recommendations on that particular program.

The one thing I will say is that if this is only going to be a 2 day trip, then Portland probably is about as far north as you'd want to go. That's going to take you 5-6 hours each way so if you try to do much more than that, you'll really won't have time to do much anything more than drive. Even there, I'd think about trying to make it at least a 3 day weekend so you could have at least one full day there before turning around and coming home.

Default Southern Maine

As Michael Pointed out, if you only have two days for this trip, then you'll want to maximize your time in Maine by not venturing too far Down East. I agree that Portland is as far as you should try to go, but you can save an hour and the cost of tolls on the Maine Turnpike by making Portsmouth/Kittery/York your destination. There are at least a couple of great old-line lobster houses worth checking out: Newick's, just over the bridge (north on US-4) from Portsmouth in Dover, NH and Warren's, just across the Interstate Bridge (US-1 bypass) in Kittery. That last warrants special note. The Interstate Bridge does NOT carry I-95, that's the 'High Bridge'. For a little time on the rocky coast, check out the Odiorne Point State Park in Kittery. For cozy sand beaches, try Short Sands and Long Sands in York Beach. For a generally quaint town and historic reconstruction, walk Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth. And for one of the most picturesque lighthouses anywhere in the world, there's hardly anything better than the Nubble on Cape Neddick.

AZBuck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't have any good first hand knowledge of the Maine food scene - although I suspect if you saw a tv show about it, they probably had some good recommendations on that particular program.

The one thing I will say is that if this is only going to be a 2 day trip, then Portland probably is about as far north as you'd want to go. That's going to take you 5-6 hours each way so if you try to do much more than that, you'll really won't have time to do much anything more than drive. Even there, I'd think about trying to make it at least a 3 day weekend so you could have at least one full day there before turning around and coming home.
    I would really like a 3 day trip but he only got 2 days off mid week =[
    Hope fully i can convince him to take a day off=]
    Thank you so much for your advice!

5. Default

OMG you gave me so much information I'm so thankful!
    Even though I'm really lost with everything you stated since I have no sense of direction,
    but i'll be sure to google everything. Thank you!!