1. Default Pa to Midwest early November multiple stops

I am planning on leaving from Pennsylvania on the first week in November with stops in Wisconsin,St Louis and Wichita kansas.Anything I should be aware of?.How's the weather early
    November in those states..does it snow early?.Also I am a woman traveling alone,I'm 55.
    Any advice?

As you head west from Pennsylvania it is not uncommon to see lake effect snow in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin in November. The further south you go, the less likely it is that it will snow. The upper mid west will more than likely have temperatures that can produce snowfall.

As you head west from Pennsylvania it is not uncommon to see lake effect snow in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin in November.
    I've seen it in very late November, but in the first half of the month it's relatively rare. Check the weather before you leave, and if it doesn't look good, take I-70 to Indy instead of I-80 to Chicago. From Indy you can take I-65 up into Chicago, or I-74 to I-39 to completely bypass Chicago.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by channa1955 View Post
    I am planning on leaving from Pennsylvania on the first week in November with stops in Wisconsin,St Louis and Wichita kansas.Anything I should be aware of?.How's the weather early
    November in those states..does it snow early?.Also I am a woman traveling alone,I'm 55.
    Any advice?
    I live in North Central Indiana and its usually fine in the early part of November.

As far as other advice, if you are running through Northern Indiana on your way to Wisconsin, pull up a map and follow along with what I am telling you here.

In Northwestern Indiana, Merriville is the last safe place to stop for gas, resteroom or food as you are heading West. LaPorte is OK, Valparaiso is OK, and Merriville is OK. After that you have places like Gary and East Chicago. I'm a 28 year old man, 6'1 1/2" - 195 lbs. I WOULD NOT STOP IN THOSE PLACES UNLESS I WAS FORCED TO EVEN DURING THE DAY. I may be a bit over the top on my total distrust of those places, but Gary, IN for a long time had more murder's per capita then any place in the US. And just cause its not on top anymore doesn't mean the place has been cleaned up any.

Those are not good places to be at any time of day and I highly recommend you plan accordingly and do not stop there.

You are just fine as long as you keep going and stick to the interstate. But as far as I'm concerned, after Merriville IN, its through Chicago to the Wisconsin State line or bust. I personally wouldn't stop in Chicago either but thats because I don't like big cities. I know the downtown area of Chicago is fairly safe.

If you are taking the toll road, the most convenient place to stop before Chicago is the service area at Burns Harbor, it's right around the 22 mile marker. I recommend you fill your gas tank there to avoid Illinois prices. The gas in Illinois is about 20 cents higher due to taxes and the price doesn't go down till you reach Wisconsin. I do not recommend that you take the expressways through Chicago unless you have a good reason to go downtown. Depending on your destination in Wisconsin, there are a few bypasses you can take.

If you have an EZ-Pass, you can now use it in OH, IN, and IL on the toll roads.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I recommend you fill your gas tank there to avoid Illinois prices. The gas in Illinois is about 20 cents higher due to taxes and the price doesn't go down till you reach Wisconsin.
    Actually, outside of the Chicago Metro area (which has insanely high prices - certainly listen to the advice to get gas in Indiana), gas is usually cheaper in Illinois than Wisconsin - thanks to Wisconsin's anti-competition laws. The cheapest place along I-90 to get gas is almost always in South Beloit, Illinois at one of the two exits between the state line and the start/end of the tollway.

When you start getting down into Central Illinois - especially the Bloomington/Champaign areas, its pretty typical to see gas prices a good 20 cents cheaper than in Wisconsin.

7. Default

Thank You so much for that info..good to stay safe.BTW my trip is now shortened to go from NJ to WI only.