Default Advice on road trip from Denver to San Diego

Will be renting an RV for first time this July to tour national parks and sites in the west. Plan to start at Denver and end near San Diego. Plan to stop at Rocky Mt Park, Moab (whitewater raft), Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Yosemite. Hope to rent a 25 or 26 ft RV. I would appreciate any recommendations or ideas on RV camps to stay along the way and sites to visit , etc and any other helpful info. May possibly stop at Yellowstone although its a pretty good drive from Rocky Mt Park and back. Will be traveling with 3 - 4 kids (ages 10 - 17). Thanks.

Default Parking

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

National Parks are such because they house some of the great treasures of the nation and so make the best 'dots' to connect for any RoadTrip. But parks also make the best place to park your RV not only because they tend to be cheaper than commercial 'campgrounds' but because you are usually surrounded by the beauty and (relative) silence of nature, rather than the local highway. However, for just the reasons stated above, and especially at the more popular parks, they tend to fill up early. In fact at places like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, every pad for the entire summer may be reserved by May. So it's best to have a 'Plan B'. Fortunately, there are usually nearby state parks which are nearly as nice and certainly offer a useful alternative. I'd make sure that I had scouted out all the available RV sites in such facilities or had contacted each of the states I'd be driving through and gotten a brochure listing each of their parks and the RV facilities (and prices) in each of them.

Beyond that, your plan is a bit fluid at this point to offer specific advice, but some of the places you might want to consider adding to your itinerary include Colorado National Monument, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, Grand Canyon (North Rim), Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree National Park, and Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

AZBuck

Default An insight.

You don't actually mention how long you have for your trip, which is of importance to the amount you can do, and whether Yellowstone can even be a possibility. I totally agree with Buck, the National parks are great for camping and it's because of that they book up early, sometimes within hours of hitting the 'booking window', which is usually within 5 or 6 months of your timed travel plans. All info can be found at nps.gov.

We have done a couple of RV trips in the area that cover the places you have mentioned. If you have time you can take a look here to get an insight into RV'nig and NP's. Here covers RMNP and Moab plus others and here that covers Yosemite Zion and Grand canyon etc. You could use some of the info for campground names and locations etc. You will also notice that a lot of the parks have free shuttle bus systems, so when you have set up camp you will not have to move the RV during your stay in the park.

As you build your trip keep asking questions and we can help to fill in the blanks.

We were planning on spending 3 weeks. Just wanted to visit the parks, hike and sightsee. Wanted to start making reservations now for RV sites and RV. Thanks for the information!

Moderator Note: We've had to merge multiple threads and delete some near identical posts. Please keep all your questions about this trip in the same thread.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking that the trip to Yellowstone might not be worth it seeing as we have 3 weeks and don't want to rush from place to place - so instead just hit the parks from Denver to Yosemite.

Default Time to research.

Even with 3 weeks the time will go quickly, however it is time enough to make a nice loop and visit a lot of the parks in the area. From Denver to Yosemite to Grand canyon and back to Denver would be in the region of a 2500 mile trip, or close to a weeks driving in an RV. If you started out in RMNP and took the I70 on the way West, you could visit Moab [Arches and Canyonlands NP's] Zion and Bryce to Yosemite and then head towards Vegas and the Grand canyon, taking a more Southerly route back. One option would be through Monument valley to Durango and up the 'Million dollar highway' [US550] through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray to Montrose and head East on US 50 past Black canyon and the Currecanti Rec. area.

As I stated earlier, you will not be able to make reservations in the National parks untill the booking window opens, and I provided the link where you can find such info.

Note
    In case you don't scroll up, please note that you have been asked to keep all questions /responses regarding this trip in this thread. Just click on the reply button, make your post and the thread automatically goes back to the top of the forum page, thankyou.

Thanks for the advice / recommendation on a route. Very helpful!!

Changing plans to start out at Denver and return to Denver - making a loop.

Default Cool.

You can see and do quite a bit in your 3 weeks. Keep searching around for ideas and info, and if you have any questions or need help with "fine tuning" your trip, just ask !