1. Default roadtrip from San Diego to Grand Canyon.

need to know which are the best things to see on our roadtrip from San Diego to Grand Canyon.
    am aware the trip will take a few hours, but we plan to set off real early.

Default "Best"

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

A common theme you will notice around here is that there is no one "best" as everyone's "thing" is different and we know nothing of your interests. You should also know that it is more than a "few hours" for the journey, more like a 10 hour day with some short breaks along the way. A couple of options would be to drive through the Anza Borrego state park, Joshua tree NP and to pick up parts of original route 66, such as Oatman between Needles and Kingman and/or Kingman through Seligman. There are other options, such as the Prescott valley and Sedona that you could look into so I would just do a little research and see what appeals to you.

If you have other questions about your trip just ask, have a good'un !

SD to the GC via fastest route is 600 miles, and will take you at least 10 hours with NO stops. This is very doable in 1 day, but not with any detours or sightseeing. Fastest route is I-8/AZ-85/I-10/AZ-101/I-17/US-89/AZ-64.

Default For sure ?

George, do you think that is the fastest route, even though the OP is setting off "real early" ? It's 80 miles longer than heading North on I 15 and CA 79/371/74 towards I 10 and then making your way to I 40 via CA 177/62 and US 95.

I also have I 15/215/15 to 40 as the quickest route, at 50 miles less distance and 1 hour quicker. Probably not much in it with any of the choices, but I would say they are all viable options.

Yes, it's the fastest due to speed limits. The shorter routes have lower speed limits. AZ has a 75 limit on rural interstates.

I have to agree with Dave, I'd be very surprised if going all the way over to Phoenix would be faster than going I-15 to I-40. CA's speed limit is still 70, and not only is it shorter in distance, but you'd eliminate that short 2 lane stretch on AZ-85. Traffic would likely be similar (Fringe LA traffic on I-15 vs. Phoenix metro). I'm sure either would be faster than taking the 2 lane routes through the California desert.

Its a pretty minor point either way...

Let me clarify - if you go to Flagstaff then up US-89 and in the east entrance to the GC, it's 30 minutes faster via Phoenix. If you go to Williams and in the south entrance, it's 30 minutes faster via Barstow.