EasternBound Guest

Default Alberta to Virginia (I need lots of help and suggestions)

Ok so I am gonna post this here and if the powers that be feel there is a more desireable place for my thread then let it be so.

My first time travelling outside of an agency, I looked up a few sites did some mapping and routing and well came up with some really bad results I am adventerous but not that care-free. I eventually came across this site the only one that is a community so here I am asking for advice help and suggestions.

I am looking to travel from central Alberta to central Virgina, probably gonna be a one way trip too. I have never travelled east of the province I live in let a lone the eastern ish states. I have an estimation of 2500 to 2600 miles with an approximate drive time of 52.14 hours. I would like it to be a good time seeing some sites along the way so 60 too 100 hours of drive time would be ideal. See historical to modern points of interests. Great places to eat and affordable places to stay. I'd like to try lots of good and unique food along the way things that might be in a nook of a town or tucked away in odd spot in a city.

I am intending on hitting the road in 2011 in mid April to early May, save some extra cash and get all the things I would possibly need for a trip like this in order and a budget and extra money for incidentals.

If anyone has any suggestions on routes places to stop things to see, good places to stay and food don't forget need good food too. PM or I guess just post here.

:) EasternBound

Default eating an elephant

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I honestly thing your biggest problem right now is that you are looking at this trip in such a big picture, that its overwhelmed your ability to see what's important.

When you start talking about you're looking at an approximate drive time of "52.14 hours" but you want one that's 60 to 100 hours of driving, you're really just throwing out numbers that don't mean anything.

I also have no idea what you could mean by coming up with "really bad routes" when you were doing mapping and routing. There is no such thing as a generic right or wrong when it comes to routing, and if you came up with something that incorporates your own desires then that's a perfectly good start.

I think you'll be much better off it you slow down and break your trip into smaller piece. We can't possibly start listing all the things you might be interested in doing in on the 3000 mile trip between the Canadian Rockies and the Mid-Atlantic, because its just too big of a question, and you need to think in the same way. Start thinking about some of the places you want to do and things you want to see, and work from there.

Once you've got more of an idea about what it is you are hoping for, then we can help you put it all together.

EasternBound Guest

Midwest Micheal wrote
    I honestly thing your biggest problem right now is that you are looking at this trip in such a big picture, that its overwhelmed your ability to see what's important
    It is a big trip and its changing my life, I am taking a holiday and moving at the sametime I haven't been on a holiday in almost a decade. Coming to an online community and asking people for help, from people who may live in those areas or have driven those roads I may be on I think is ideal. Knowing possible roads to avoid and areas towns worth going out of my way to visit so on and forth etc etc....

Midwest Micheal wrote
    When you start talking about you're looking at an approximate drive time of "52.14 hours" but you want one that's 60 to 100 hours of driving, you're really just throwing out numbers that don't mean anything.
    Maybe to you having an approximate time between point "A" and "B" mean nothing to you and wanting to extend that to a more casual trip time is planning in my mind. Throwing that value out there does mean something it means setting a goal all things begin and end. Ranging the drive time from 60 to 100 hours is ideally a good amount at least from my stand point gives lea-way to see things and stop with abit a pressure how-ever not much pressure to get there at a set time.

Midwest Micheal wrote
    I also have no idea what you could mean by coming up with "really bad routes" when you were doing mapping and routing. There is no such thing as a generic right or wrong when it comes to routing,
    In response to that keeping in mind I used online routing services the routes I got on the map(s). When I actually started to look at alot of roads most of them were non-serviced rural roads that went straight from point A to B with the shortest possible route and frankly speaking take you into the sticks and backwoods. So yes I do believe there can be a defined right and wrong way of going about it, I live in the sticks and cutlines. Possibly I picked a few bad sites for setting up a course from my starting and finishing point.

Midwest Micheal wrote
    I think you'll be much better off it you slow down and break your trip into smaller piece.
    Now my response is based on where you put piece I'll assume was as spelling error and you mean peices. This is also a one way trip I won't be going back to Canada as per this trip is a move and if after a year of being there I don't like it I'll be moving on.

Midwest Micheal
    We can't possibly start listing all the things you might be interested in doing in on the 3000 mile trip between the Canadian Rockies and the Mid-Atlantic, because its just too big of a question, and you need to think in the same way. Start thinking about some of the places you want to do and things you want to see, and work from there.
    I am a very open and receptive with a very board and cultural interest. With that being said closing and defining what my interest is and what I want to see along the way can't be defined without input from people who have seen it.

Being as how I pointed out in the first post it is strictly a one way trip so seeing as much as I can is important to me while moving at a pace set in that 60 to 100 hour mark. If I started to define my interests and likes and wants this would turn into biography on my life. Sometimes surrending to the interests and suggestions of others in a situation that I am in, in my process of deciding to move and make a holiday out of it. Would possible show me and allow me to see a larger scale of things and possibly find things out about the country I'll be traveling through I wouldn't normally get to find in a conventional means of just reading websites. Conversing with others in such endeavors is very important.

My response can be taken as a smug attitude however, I am here not to argue but converse with the community about everthing between Central Alberta and the Central area of Virginia. I also had mentioned that I won't be leaving till the mid year of 2011 that seemed to be over looked in the reply you bestowed upon me. 5 to 6 months is ample time in my mind to talk with people about whats in all that open space and put it all together in an itinerary and use a site like mapquest to plot it all out and put it all together.

Default its all you

All I can say is that while you've been able to quote my response line by line, you managed to completely miss the point.

This site is certainly about sharing ideas, but its also a site where you get out of it what you put into it - and when all you've given us is a very large (large to the point of being basically useless) outline of a trip that covers 3/4ths of the continent, and instead of giving us some specifics to help you find what will be best for you, you've just given (as you called it) a smug response as to why your trip is different than the hundreds of other people who come on this forum for advice every day. If you are looking for a conversation, you've gone about it in a very odd way - one in which I think its going to make it very difficult for you to get the help you're looking for.

Now my response is based on where you put piece I'll assume was as spelling error and you mean peices.
    you are right, I did mean pieces. And just for the sake of politeness in the future, if you're going to give a smug response about misspelling that was quite obvious from the context, you might want to spell the word correctly in your response - or at least getting the spelling right of the person's name you are responding too....

Thanks
    Midwest Michael

EasternBound Guest

I'll this and this is the last thing I'll be saying on this subject as well as this site. I see you as a closed minded person bound by restriction. I will not argue with you further leaving open a very vague question I posed leaving lots of room for many people to answer on a vast topic such as this might have been to much for you to handle, myself no I would had fun reading few or hundreds of posts. Putting them into an order and piecing it together, leaving it vague like I did left it open to many options of where to cross the border and other possible pathings through states. I didn't miss the mark of the site, you Sir missed the mark of my request. In the future if similar posts come up from others I hope you take something from this and rather in-overtly starting a confrontation and maybe humor the request and see where it takes.

For he has the most open mind is one who travels in rogues company.

Take it how you will and how you want to, I had a simple and board request I think the status of moderator is wasted on you after reading many of your posts. If you once had compassion you have lost it.

You have so badly missed the point in everything I've said, i just really can't begin to respond to each thing in details.

I'll simply say this: In my initial response to you I made this statement, "There is no such thing as a generic right or wrong when it comes to routing, and if you came up with something that incorporates your own desires then that's a perfectly good start."

I find it incredibly odd that you not only somehow found a reason to attack that statement, but its completely baffling to me that you are now calling me the closed minded person.

You asked for help, and I offered you a realistic suggestion on how to both help yourself as well as generate more response from others on this forum. You are not the first person to post on this forum, and I can assure you, those who expect to get hundreds of responses to an impossibly generic question are always going to be disappointed.

I'm sorry that rather than consider anything I said, you've taken offense it and considered it a confrontation. I'm even more sorry that you clearly have no interest in getting help from people on this forum. We wish you well in planning your trip, but clearly we've reached the point where you're not going to find what you claim to be looking for here.