Default Winter road trip from Salt Lake to Grand Canyon

My family and I are planning a trip to the US that we are really excited about. We have pretty much everything worked out. We will arrive in LA and stay a few days before driving to Salt Lake with a night in Las Vegas.
    We will spend a week in Salt Lake and then would like to travel to the Grand Canyon before heading back to LA via Vegas for another week in LA.
    My question is this - Is it possible to comfortably drive from Salt Lake City to Tusayan AZ just near the south rim of the Grand Canyon in one day in December. We would then spend the next day seeing the Grand Canyon, stay another night in Tusayan and then drive all the way to LA the next day. Are we crazy????? Is it too much driving?
    We had thought of breaking the trip and spending a night in Page before heading into the Grand Canyon the next day, and then heading out to Williams for a night before going onto Hoover Dam and Vegas. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated from an Aussie family who want to make the most of this trip.

Default Confused?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It is possible to drive from SLC to Tusayan same day, but it will take a good 10 or 11 hours with time for some short breaks, and without weather delay's, which is impossible to predict so far in advance. If you could leave SLC in the PM of the day before and get 3 hours or so 'under your belt', it would certainly make for a more relaxed drive next day.

Grand Canyon before heading back to LA via Vegas for another week in LA.
    We would then spend the next day seeing the Grand Canyon, stay another night in Tusayan and then drive all the way to LA the next day.
    I am a little confused here ? You can drive to LA from Tusayan same day, you could overnight in Vegas, but it wouldn't be worth going to LA via Vegas same day. It would be an extremely long day with out any time spent in Vegas itself. As you are headed to Vegas earlier in your trip, I would spend what ever time it is you have for Vegas, then.

Thanks for your input. Leaving in the afternoon from SLC is a good idea.
    The stop over in Vegas on the way back to LA would only be because we thought we might like to stop and see Hoover Dam. But you're right about spending time in Vegas on our earlier trip which we have planned.
    Maybe we'll skip Hoover Dam and head staight to LA via the I-40.
    Thanks again.

If you really wanted to see the dam you could detour on the way to Vegas from LA, it's a shorter drive day and less of a detour.

5. Default

Last year I visited the Grand Canyon and view the sightseeing views of this attraction but due to shortage of time I can’t explore the Salt Lake. I think gracey you have knowledge about this spot and can brief me about it!!

Hello julana and welcome to RTA.

gracey has not been active on the forum since 2010 so it is unlikely you will get a reply. If you would like advice on a future trip you should start your own road trip thread and ask the relevant questions for the best possible advice.