Default U.K. family road trip New York-Niagara to Las Vegas ( 22 days ).

I would be very grateful for any suggestions for places of interest on the very popular EAST - WEST USA road trip .
    We are a family of two adults & a 14 year old boy , from the U.K. We have been to Florida many times but now would like to explore more of the USA . The plan is April 3rd 2011 fly into Newark for two nights ( NYC highlights ) then onto
    Niagara Falls again for one or two nights ..... that takes us upto 6th .Our destination is Las Vegas where we intend to spend
    4 nights ( 20th - 23rd ) and fly out early Sunday morning back to the U.K.
    It's the bit ! between that I need advice on , we would like to head south to the Gulf of Mexico (Pensacola) to get some warm
    Weather & dip our toes in the Gulf waters , move on through
    Louisiana, Texas and finally Las Vegas would also like to catch Route 66 at some point . Our vehicle will be med SUV ( not the best on fuel ) Iíll be the only driver but donít mind
    Would like to stay at Moms & Pops style motels & not too keen
    On the interstates as we would like to see quirky places but realise these roads will be necessary to get to places faster .
    Would also like to call at a theme park on the way , not keen on big Cityís . So there it is any advice on places to visit would
    Be greatly appreciated .

Tucson, AZ

Default Filling That Big Gap

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well clearly the place that needs a bit of work is the 'gap' between Niagara Falls and Las Vegas by way of the Gulf Coast. Two weeks is plenty of time for this portion, but you'll need a few spots in between worth seeing. So let me suggest a few dots worth connecting and a few good connector roads. Between Niagara Falls and the Gulf Coast, you should try to include a bit of the Appalachians, Mammoth Cave, some of the Mississippi and a few old southern plantations. So have a look at taking (roughly) I-79 south from Erie, PA to Fairmont, WV, then US-250 down to Waynesboro, VA and the Blue Ridge Parkway (if open) or I-81 (if the BRP isn't open yet) southwest to Bristol, VA/TN. From there head west on US-58/US-25 through Cumberland Gap National Historical Park to London (Kentucky!) and then west on KY-80 and the Cumberland Parkway to Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave National Park.

From there down to the coast try first heading down to Nashville and using the Natchez Trace Parkway to Vicksburg with its Civil War battlefield and stately old homes then continue down the Great River Road (US-61 in this section) through Natchez (more plantations) to New Orleans. If you want sand beach, there's the Gulf Islands National Seashore a little to the east off Biloxi, MS, and/or if you want bayou country travel a bit of the Creole Nature Trail in southwest Louisiana.

Your last segment is the Great Southwest and you'll want to include some ancient American Indian dwellings, the Petrified Forest and the Grand Canyon so head up to Dallas and then take US-287 to Amarillo and I-40. Around Albuquerque, visit both the Salinas Pueblo Missions and Petroglyph National Monuments. Farther west along the same road is the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon National Monument. North of Flagstaff (use US-89 north to AZ-64 west) is the Grand Canyon. And west of Williams is one of the longest remaining segments of the old Mother Road from Seligman to Kingman through Peach Springs, currently marked as AZ-66 and/or Historic Route 66 (US-66 was actually decommissioned 25 years ago.)