1. Default Road Trip [moving] help!

I will be moving from wonderful old Los Angeles, CA to New York this coming January. I will be driving [thus the whole 'road trip' thing] and need to plan out the safest route, as I have a 91 Honda Civic that I don't trust in mountains and such. [mainly because uphill kills the poor thing...]

Which paths would this be best to take? And do any of you have any tips for me when I move?

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Similar topics appear on these forums on a regular basis. Here's a link to some information you will find useful.

The first order of business would be to have the car checked out by a mechanic you trust. If you will be driving the Interstates, remember that they are built to a common standard that limits the amount of grade (elevation gain over a range) as a means of assisting large trucks with heavy loads. Driving on the two lanes (US and state highways) won't give you this luxury.

As far as moving tips - it sounds like your trip will be done in the car (as opposed to a moving van,) so there isn't anything outside of the ordinary tips here that I can think of to suggest. Generally 550 miles per day is about the reasonable limit, so plan your time around that figure and you'll be in good shape at the end of your trip. There's no reason to make this into a job. How much time do you have for your trip?

3. Default

I'd like to make the drive as short as possible, however if I have to I can take as long as needed.
    I'm used to driving for long hours non-stop, and if I end up getting someone to come with me, I don't actually want to stop for the night, as hotels are expensive.

Default Please no !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zinny View Post
    I'm used to driving for long hours non-stop, and if I end up getting someone to come with me, I don't actually want to stop for the night, as hotels are expensive.
    That is the scariest statement I think I have ever read on the forums !!! You cannot drive across the US without rest, and I am talking proper rest not a taking a nap in the car for a few hours, it is a 5 day drive. Even with 3 people this would be impossible, reckless and dangerous to attempt, and would endanger other's on the road as well as yourselves.

We have all driven huge distances at one time or another, and some people can go further than other's. Then there are those that think they are somehow "different" from anyone else, and it is those people, like drunk drivers who think they can "handle their drink", that cause many unnecessary deaths on the road to innocent people.

Please think carefully and have a safe journey !

Default Is your life worth $50?

I'm sorry, but I have to completely agree with Dave, and I find your statement especially troubling when you started out your thread by asking for the "safest route." There is going to be no route that is safe if you aren't getting several nights worth of real sleep along the way.

If your safety and the safety of those people with whom you share the road isn't worth the $50 or less you'll spend on a motel 6 (and even that could be on the high side if you start looking at all your options, including mom and pop motels, hostels, etc) then you really have no business being on the road. Buy a plane ticket and ship your stuff - it would probably be cheaper anyway.

If you wouldn't think of getting on the road after drinking a 12 pack, then don't think about making this trip in under 5 days, because in many many ways, they would be much the same thing.

6. Default

It was merely a thought, nothing to get upset over.
    This is the reason I'm asking for opinions in the first place

Default Upset ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinny View Post
    It was merely a thought, nothing to get upset over.
    Nobody's upset.

This is the reason I'm asking for opinions in the first place
    And that is the reason we are responding to your thoughts.

If it came across as harsh I apologise, but it is truthful and with well meant intentions. We have had similar posts in the past, where if we don't lay it down as it is to start with, we end up with pages of posts while people tell us they are "different" and don't need rest and can make super human efforts while being of no danger to themselves and other road users. Statistics prove otherwise, and that is simply the message we are trying to get across.

Default Lack of sleep = lack of enjoyment

As with other things in life, a lack of sleep during the course of a road trip will ultimately lead to feelings of regret. For example, instead of this being an enjoyable experience, you will most likely remember it as "work" or "not that fun" if you forego the appropriate rest in your move.

A friend of mine recently took a trip to Florida, and instead of heeding some well-intentioned advice, decided to do the drive in one shot with different members of the family taking "shifts" to get there. Needless to say, when he got back the story was as expected: It was more of a job than anything, the members who drove during the night had no energy during the day, etc. Our responses are based on countless examples just like this one. Some of us (perhaps most?) at one time probably thought the "drive through" was a good idea - I know I used to do just that.

But the important thing to take away from this is that since you have the time, enjoy your trip. There is a lot to see along any route you take, and we'd much prefer you finish your trip in comfort and perhaps share some of your experiences on these forums.