1. Default Las Vegas- LA- California in February- Any advice welcome!

Hi Guys!

This is my first post here but have read the many interesting and informative articles before- so hope you can help me to!

Rather excitingly I have front row tickets for Cher's final show at Caesers Palace, Las Vegas on February 5th 2011, and as i'll be coming from England for it I thought i'd make the most of the trip and do the route above, I have seen the video of "The Other route to Vegas" and so think i'm going to do that from Vegas to LA- Driving through Death Valley as winter seems the best time to do that. I think we'll stop at Stovepipe wells as there is so much I want to see in the valley it would be a shame to push it in 1 day.

I'm a bit unsure of plans from then on and this is where any advice will be welcome.

I think we'll stay 2 days in LA- one day for Universal Studio's and one for a bit of sight seeing. then we intend to drive up route 1 PCH to San Francisco. Is the Highway 1 worth doing even in winter? I understand it has rock falls and mud slides so would check those things before leaving, It sounds like the weather is so unpredictable especially the further North you go but as i'm there it seemed silly to miss even trying to use see the route.

LA - San Francisco looks like it could be to far to do with one overnight stop really and enjoy everything there is to see along the way. I want to stay at the Maddonna inn in San Louis Obispo and have been wondering wether to stop in Monterey as well? Again, is this worth doing in the winter?

Then Monterey to San Francisco via "The San Jose Mystery House" which looks great!

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help and am already so excited about the trip!

Andy

Default great job

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've done an excellent job of looking at things and coming up with a very good plan.

Vegas to Death Valley is a drive that can be done in a couple of hours, so if you plan to spend the night there, you'll have a great amount of time to look around and explore.

I would certainly drive the PCH, and winter is actually a great time to make the trip. Summer actually can be more problematic because of fog. I think breaking it up in SLO and Monterey is about perfect.

If you are going to allow a full day between SLO and Monterey, I'd recommend a Hearst Castle tour. Prebooking is recommended.

4. Default Delmonte Pines, Monterey CA

Hi Guys!

I've booked to stay at Delmonte Pines in Monterey as part of my Vegas to San Francisco road trip begining on 2nd Feb, however I needed to amend the date I was staying there, e-mailed but got no repsonse so called and someone changed the date but I am yet to recieve confirmation. When I went online to chase up the confirmation the website has been taken down for non-payment and I also can't get hold of anyone on the phone. As we are staying 1 night the room has been paid for.

I know its a long shot but does anyone happen to live in/ near monterey and know if this place is still open- or does anyone have any ideas who I could call to see if they know anything about it?

Thanks in advance guys!

Andy, UK
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-09-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Merged - Please keep all of your questions about the same trip in the same thread

Default Who You Want

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Consumer complaints/inquiries is not really our thing. The people you want to check with first are the folks at the Better Business Bureau. That link will take you to the one that serves Monterey.

AZBuck

6. Default

Thats great thanks! I appreciate its a bit out of your remit but didn't really know where to start with finding out info as still in the UK.

Thanks again for the info- just what I was after!

Andy

Default hunting down

Here's an old reporters trick: Call the neighbors!

Taking a look at Google Maps, it looks like the hotel is surrounded by a Super 8, a Days Inn, and a Rite Aid Drug Store. There's also a real estate office just down the street. I'd try giving those places a call and I'd bet you'd find someone who could at least tell you if they are still open.

I will say that this does provide a good warning for others, and for you in the future: Don't prepay hotel rooms! It's common to have to put down a credit card number or some other deposit to hold a reservation, but you shouldn't have to pay for your room until you check in. There are a few exceptions, like booking on a "blind bid" site like hotwire or priceline, but in a budget class motel like this, its very rare to need to prepay.

I just did a bit of research for you on hotels.com - I hope you didn't pay more than $47 plus tax for the room. That's the listed rate for 1 room for 2 people on Feb 3. Worst case, you will be out what you paid. Being winter, that's off season and there is a wide selection of hotels in Monterey in the $50 range. If you have to, you won't have a problem finding something as a walk-in.

When you get here, you can try to contact the hotel at 1-866-925-4159, 1-866-539-0036, or 1-866-539-8117, those are toll-free numbers. The regular toll number you can call from the UK is 1-831-375-2323.